Early IM results

Hi,

I did HIM UK back when in 2003 when it moved to Sherbourne from Llanberis. I’ve just entered Weymouth 70.3 for next year with my daughter who was 1 back in 2003 and I’m trying to find results from then but am drawing a blank

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks,

J

4 Likes

Sorry no results J-dog but it’s my town & I was standing there on the lakeside watching you all head off into the foggy gloom that day. Good times. How did you get on?

2 Likes

Athlinks?
Is that still around?

Or Coach Cox?

1 Like

Was it athlinks that pretty much closed down when Ironman blocked access to their results API or something?

1 Like

Seems like everything on the open internet is dead.

CoachCox only goes back to 2012.

2 Likes

I do remember that Andy Blow came 3rd. Andy was a friend and coached North Dorset Tri at the time & must have had the race of his life that day, racing as an age grouper and beating all but 2 pros.

Unfortunately for him, as an AGer I don’t think he was eligible for prize money. He did however qualify for Kona, even though it was only a half ironman - that was a thing back then.

He accepted the place and went over to Kona in 2004, I know this as I went over too for a holiday.

It was a brutal, hot, windy day on the lava fields. I was there to cheer him across the finish line, about 2 hours behind Normann Stadler, and he had one piece of advice: “Never do this ******* race”.

Next day we had a gentle snorkel together at Kahalu’u, which probably sounds far more homo-erotic than it actually was.

9 Likes

https://web.archive.org/web/20040616195920fw_/http://www.ironmanuk.com/2003/results-complete.htm

3 Likes

No j-dog in the results though, so I fear it was all a shaggy dog story you told your daughter.

2 Likes

How did you find that? :clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2:

Some trips down memory lane there. Poor old Julian Jenkinson in 9th. One of the fastest British IMers at the time, sadly had a cardiac event while out riding in 2017 and that was that.

Any current TTers on that list?

1 Like

I visited archive.org I searched for “2003 sherbone ironman” it showed me the ironmanuk.com site, so I visited the homepage in October 2003 (figuring that would’ve been after whenever it was) then clicked results, and there it was. Not sure what other way anyone would’ve done - maybe just got an AI to make up some results?

4 Likes

I’ll look again tomorrow, I’m definitely not there but #42 lives on my estate and has just started racing again after about 10 year break.

1 Like

Thanks to Jibber Jim,

I’m in there, a solid finish around the 1000 place mark. Clearly room for improvement that 20+ years of aging can only help.

1 Like