'electrolyte flushing' - indoor training

A recent article on training peaks mention training for a long time on an indoor trainer was a bad idea because of electrolyte flushing.

Anyone know what this might be? - or more importantly why it might be a problem indoors but not out?

(I can surmise it might be drinking too much water and changing the balance of electrolytes in your system, but why this should be a problem only indoor riding I don’t know.)

TIA.

Not read it but guessing sweat is far higher indoors.

Not in my garage it isn’t :joy: . Gloves & overshoes for me.

2 Likes

Certainly in cycling the cooling you get from the windflow outdoors is huge, so for equivalent effort you would sweat more.

Maybe stick some more LoSalt on your post ride Fish and Chips and you’ll be sorted though I’d imagine.

3 Likes

Link?

it’s not detailed or scientific. Just something I had never heard before. It’s never seemed to do me any harm.

1 Like

Not heard it before myself, but just looks like he’s got an opinion on long indoor trainer sessions:

“ To get really quality aerobic work, you need to be riding 3-4 hours or more at a low intensity, a few times a week—and this just isn’t sustainable indoors. Aside from taking a mental toll, sessions this long indoors can lead to electrolyte flushing, especially to people who are not prepared for it. ”

So he’s writing it off for a number of (unquantified) reasons.

Electrolyte flushing is an awfully fancy way of saying ‘sweat a lot’ too. Anyone here ever suffered from low electrolytes after a long turbo session? I think not.

1 Like

Qualified at Oulton park spring 2011?!
Probably my best race, certainly my fastest averages.

I had run outside twice and biked once that year…

All turbo and treadmill …

As long as your replacing what your loosing…!?
Look at Lionel … he’s bonkers but has some talent and is a bike beast when he’s not doing mad shit…

Really trying to get out more this winter as I loose huge on technical courses … but have you seen it outside … feels like the roofs coming off right now …?!?

2 Likes

I think it’s really hard for someone to anyone on a modern diet consuming the 3000+ calories you’ll be eating whilst training to be deficient in any electrolyte overall unless your diet is so unhealthy and all you eat is gel’s and protein powders.

3 Likes

What @JibberJim says. Also, the more you sweat, the more dilute your sweat becomes. It’s a while since I read research on this but on the whole itseemd that those who are salty swaeters are likely to eat more salt.

like we’ve all got time for that

3 Likes

Noakes claims that the fluid in the body is saltier than what you sweat hence getting thirsty and hence needing water to balance the levels. The problem is people over drink so “electrolyte replacement” became a thing. I would say people who “flush” electrolytes need to drink less generally or as Jim says, put some more salt on your chips

2 Likes

needs to be losalt though, got to keep the potassium up!

1 Like

I agree. The electrolyte replacement is there to sell electrolyte replacement products IMO.

so just a wanky term for something obvious then.

Crack on as you were.

2 Likes

So use electrolyte drinks like outdoors then eh?

or not depending on which science you believe

my daughter (who has a 1st from Loughborough Uni’s school of exercise and sports medicine, so isn’t entirely a lay person) upon discussing this with me simply dismissed the whole thing by saying that the majority of electrolytes are pissed out quicker than your body can absorb them when taken in condensed forms either suspended or tablet variety…

1 Like

NO, just pickle juice :joy: