Farah 1hr WR attempt

Yes.

3 Likes

21330m

2 Likes

Impressive.

Ill admit when they started to lag behind The Ghost I thought it was over.

1 Like

Weird. Just clicked the link and there were 2 mins remaining!

Quite exciting. Looked like Mo had blown with the other guy slipping past and the ghost catching up, but he still had that one lap pace.

So 4% better shoes, and he gets to go 0.2% better, Nike must be pissed, and not even needing a working doorbell in 6 months, they must be pretty disappointed with that.

1 Like

They mentioned this in commentary.
He was actually disadvantaged compared to Gebrselassie who could use trainers back in the day. They didn’t go into details, but stated Farah had to use spikes for some reason, and couldn’t use road shoes which would have apparently been preferable (and faster) over this duration.

There was apparently another person meant to be running who tried to run for such a prolonged period in track spikes in training, and it was too hard on the legs so he pulled out of running.

9 Likes

The real ‘take away’ for me last night was Hassan. She now has the mile and the one hour WRs!! (I suspect that has not happened before) Just imagine what she will do if she moves to the marathon.

Oh, and Duplantis looks pretty special too :slight_smile:

Good effort…

They had to wear spikes

They talked about road showed being not allowed on the commentary for the women’s hour race

I thought that Nike had the equivalent of the vaporfly but in spikes now?

As an aside I saw that Benno Nigg has some research out on how the shoes help and that he measured the improvements in efficiency at 6%. (Not read yet just seen a brief description of it)

Gwen Jorgensen had hers specially made, she’s got a YouTube video of it, CBA to find it :see_no_evil::rofl:

1 Like

What came out at the same time as the alphafly, and in the same colourway, was a sprint spike:
https://news.nike.com/footwear/air-zoom-viperfly

1 Like

I have seen that one but I meant the middle/longer distance version. This or like this: https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/news/a26440923/muirs-record-breaking-spikes-cause-controversy/](https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/news/a26440923/muirs-record-breaking-spikes-cause-controversy/)

1 Like

3 Likes

Ah, cool. It did make sense they’d make a middle distance one.

I’d imagine even a 10k spike is very different in design to something optimised for an hour. Although that latest picture of Farah at the end does maybe suggest Nike did something specific for the challenge.

1 Like

So, if the shoes are worth 4%, what % does he get from his inhaler???

4 Likes

About half the benefit as from his L-carnitine. Which is probably 4% of the benefit he would have got from the thyroxine, which is another 4% of the benefit he would have had if he’d had any of his coaches medical testosterone.

4 Likes

You can’t say that.

We all know that Sir Mo simply forgot about his submission to WADA.

I must admit that, if I used the same excuse in my role regarding a serious risk item, my employer would be absolutely fine.

And the Nike Oregon Project? Hot air.

:smiley::smiley::smiley:

2 Likes

Imagine how much time would have been lost if the starter used a doorbell instead of a gun :rofl:

11 Likes