First Proper Bike

Enough of this Bourgeois Fridge nonsense, lets see your first proper bikes. I am talking post Grifter/BMX, the sort of thing you thought you could win the tour on.

Here is mine, the mighty Puch Clipper 10.

Bought for me in about 1990, but I suspect it had been in its box for a long time before that.

Pocket money upgrades meant it eventually had a set of 105 parts - still with the frame mounted shifters.

EDIT:

After 30 Years I have today learned that Puch is, historically at least, an Austrian brand, I therefore revise my earlier statement to:

I shouldnā€™t have bothered, the frame was made of finest Austrian gas-pipe, so it weighed as much as a
ā€œInsert something heavy and Austrianā€ā€¦

4 Likes

no pictures but my 1st proper road bike was a Puch 5 speed - bought in around 1983/4.

3 Likes

Mine was red

3 Likes

Raleigh 5sp for me in the mid 70s

2 Likes

Marin Bobcat Trail - this exact version

Bent the frame in half and knocked myself out doing some trails :rofl:šŸ¤¦šŸ½

So that was quickly followed by an Orange P7, which I re-acquired as an adult (different bike, since sold) absolutely loved the look of this bikeā€¦and I still do :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Mrs FB had an Orange P7 - she also loved it. Eventually sold it to a guy who worked for us who was emigrating to NZ (he was short so frame size was right for him) - he had to deep cleanse it to get rid of all dirt and other shite before he could take it into NZ under their biohazard rules.

2 Likes

Nice, I had a Clockwork in the mid 90s, followed by a series of Fives. Eventually worked out they were shit. Still have the Frame of the last one hanging on the garage wall.

2 Likes

Very jealous of my brotherā€™s Raleigh Olympus which i always hoped would be passed down to meā€¦but wasnā€™tā€¦ from early 1970s

2 Likes

Still using my first ā€˜proper bikeā€™, which started life as a rather expensive 1980ā€™s Alu MTB and now makes a fine commuter!

4 Likes

Not my pic but

3 Likes

Carlton Cyclone - 1982 having been promised a grown up bike when I went to ā€œbigā€ school.
I begged and pleaded for a Raleigh Record Sprint, even offered to pay the difference myself but my parents werenā€™t having any of it.
ETA - Thatā€™s not mine, just a pic I found online.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s got me thinking now!

3 Likes

I had the Raleigh Record 12speed (circa 1980) not the Sprint, cheaper components and a heavier frame, but the same black with gold paint scheme so looked fast

3 Likes

Got a Puch racing bike about 40 years ago that my Dad got me from Makro for Christmas.

Had the gear levers up near the handlebars which I thought was ace.

Screenshot 2021-03-04 at 13.59.24

Not the actual bike.

2 Likes

2 Likes

It was the drilled chainrings that did it for me in 1981. Ā£299.99.
Still got the seatpost and QR skewers. A Landrover did for the rest of it in 1991. Luckily got new-for-old compo as I had a pile of receipts about an inch thick.

4 Likes

Had a 5 speed road bike when 9 called Rattlesnake replaced with 12sp. Raleigh Winner when I was 11

s-l300