Getting back into things - zero to an ironman in 2025

Welcome. Get drunk and have a rant. It’s good fun here

9 Likes

I suspect that I might be posting “That was my plan March last year”.

6 Likes

Thanks everyone.

I’ve ordered myself a Garmin watch that’s supposed to arrive today. I’ve also updated GoldenCheetah in anticipation.

Plan today is to go to the local track (as it is flat) and have a go at running/walking around it to see what happens.

6 Likes

Well, normally one presumes you move forward, but I don’t know what your set up is

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

You’ll fit right in here :laughing:

3 Likes

Stopping and eating/drinking, mostly. And posting about it on Strava.

:raised_hands:t2:

3 Likes

I’m counting last week as “Week 0” as it was more good intentions than action.

I’ve decided that I need a proper plan and so it’s pretty much “Run, Swim, Bike” repeat. Just putting my trainers on counts! I’ve also decided not to focus as much on what I eat at the moment but getting a session done, no matter how easy.

I’m putting numbers down as I’ve always liked numbers and I’ll be able to look back at them to see how things are progressing.

So “Week 1” so far:

1. Swim: I’m getting more confidence in my shoulder but it is still sore. I did 10 x100m easy and averaged 2:11 per 100m. The new goggles arrived today and it was good to be able to see where I was going. The focus over the next week is going be on not hurting my shoulder.

2. Bike: Nothing to talk about yet. I’ve signed up to trainerday and plan on doing a ramp test in the next few days.

3. Run: I never got to the track but am up to 10 mins at 8kph on the treadmill (av 126bpm, max 139). The plan is to lengthen the runs, focusing on cadence, until my average gets closer to 120bpm or so.

I realise that all this is quite poor compared to others on here but hopefully I’ll be doing things consistently enough to get quicker.

13 Likes

Thoughts & prayers :grin: .

6 Likes

Use Trainerroad and forget about ramp tests.

2 Likes

If you’re not already out riding a fair bit I’d do that first. Ramps and power thresholds have their place, but nothing competes with hours in the saddle. As you’re aiming for 2025 you can have a nice steady year accumulating miles and enjoying the process.

4 Likes

I’ve been nervous about writing an update as, well, there has been relatively little to update. I’m not livin’ the dream.

I’ve not been on my bike and only done a few runs, including a 5k in just under 33 mins. I started slow and kept the same pace all the way around, albeit it felt a lot easier at the start than at the end. Weight/eating wise, nothing much has changed. I seem to eat much worse every time I plan on eating better :frowning:

Swimming is better. Originally the discomfort in my left shoulder meant I stopped each swim was c1k easy with a sore shoulder. My left-right balance was something like 40-60 and only the lane ropes stopped me going in circles.

Over the last month the discomfort has pretty much disappeared for the first part of the swim and so I can focus on what I’m doing. Left-right balance is now fine. I had a go at an all-out 50m and it didn’t hurt my shoulder. My plan now is to go a bit further than 1k and also vary the pace a bit.

Hopefully I’ll get out on my bike soon.

13 Likes

am toying with the same…a 2025 long distance race could be an objective that will get me out training again…

6 Likes

It’s a tough challenge trying to tackle 3 sports and balance it all. It may seem like you’re getting nowhere, but keep chipping away at it and at some point you’ll become aware of how far you’re getting, it’s a long process so don’t be put off.

Swimming sounds like your body is getting more adapted and maybe your technique is improving, bad technique can often be the cause of shoulder pain.

Keep at it and keep the updates coming.

7 Likes

Thanks jockhaggis. The bad shoulder came from an attempt to do some weight training three years ago. It’s been painful since then but slowly getting better with accupuncture and time. My swim technique definitely needs improving though - breathing feels particularly bad as (i) I’m going so slowly there is little “bow” wave and (ii) I’ve had to wear a nose clip (to get rid of the heyfever symptoms I get in the 48 hours after) and so am finding it hard to breath out underwater.

4 Likes

I missed your earlier comment and now you are “toying with the same”!

I think it is self-esteem rather than cultural. I’m not telling people in real life that this is what I’m planning to do. I do want to be fit enough that I can just do silly things when I want to. I don’t think it has to do with the fact its a particular distance or a particular brand, just that the process of getting ready for a long-distance triathlon will, hopefully, be quite enjoyable. With a bit of luck, other distance races will happen along the way.

7 Likes

Mainly because ‘I can’, but also I will chase a performance if I do anything shorter…

3 Likes

This week is 24 to go for me, chances are I’m deferring now. I want to get some sort of tris in first and the way my recovery has gone from January’s Covid i wont be. Just when I seemed to be over the worst of my 2 year struggles, I catch it again! My goals were sprint (may), Oly (june) was to do the T100 but a sprint later in the year is likely the sensible option now, i wont be racing in the next month that for certain!. Training wise is inconsistent at best, I did run 3 laps of the local park the other day (6.8km), relatively comfortable but struggled next day and i was left a bit fatigued (went to bed at 9:30, that’s not normal!!) I’m no where near the same as pre Xmas still when i got to 5 laps (11km) and ran the next day. I did ride for circa 2 hours on zwift though last week although again made me very tired after, more than fitness fatigue. I’ve literally got 7.5 weeks now to get in 16week shape which I’m not sure I will be. the lack of consistent exercise due to any exertion leading to excess fatigue is the problem now rather than massive chest issues at low intensity. High Intensity is still not an option due to the chest.

14 Likes

this is my issue, I still remember the 1:06 sprint and 2:18 Oly, id be lucky to do a 3:18 Oly now and its hard to adjust to the “new me” At least with IM I never trained for them and did silly things like FM, Bastion or Midnightman so the pb’s are pretty much beatable in the 80-84 AG :wink: . Plus Ive never done a proper Ofishul Fool Ironman and we all know unbranded dont count :wink:

11 Likes

Which event?

You could always join me for a virtual/self supported IM in September…:sweat_smile:.

4 Likes

Wales. Shoulder injury in 2017, covid 2020 and this is 3rd attempt to “get it done” as i had to use my voucher

4 Likes