Getting into Roth ...or maybe Austria ;)

Would also say that ~1500 meters of climbing obviously isn’t that much for 112 miles of riding but for an Ironman i’d say that reasonably hilly. No idea of the profile of Austria whether it’s all on one main climb or lots of small rollers. My garmin clocked 2100 meters for Wales and about 1000 for South Africa.

Certainly on the old bike course, the only flat was along by the lake early on each lap, otherwise it was up or down. But there are a lot of long shallow fast descents that are not technical, so good for taking in nutrition, having a leak or just enjoying the view.

Roth is 1300-400m climbing, so not that different, other than the scenery is more dramatic in Austria.

1 Like

Might have a chat with my wife later about a 2021 entry :wink:

1 Like

Let me put it this way…

Roth is an amazing event
Austria is an amazing venue

Also seems that you can’t hang around but don’t have to be smashing f5 for an entry

Jorgan, I have just about managed to get my bottom lip back into shape!

You’ve fully sold it to me.

I’m starting my long term plan and Austria sounds ace!

Also, couldn’t agree more about the travel plans. Went to Bled a few years ago and loved it. Slovenia is a fantastic country.

If you’ve not done Roth, then it’s a must do experience - especially as you managed to snag an entry slot. But there are many reasons why someone might be better off doing Austria if it was a toss-up.

If you asked me which event I’d do again, I can answer that too. Austria is the only long distance I’ve done twice.

1 Like

I would have given serious consideration to Austria had I not got in to Roth. I think I will see how this pans out and maybe look at Austria for 2021 if I am still in the game. Body will probably have given up by then tho.

Pretty much!! And it worked! :slight_smile:

Not been online for a while so I’m late to this discussion, save your money, IM Wales is the best foreign IM distance race & it is cheap as chips in comparison. Having done Wales it seems crazy to me to consider an oversees triathlon adventure if cost is an issue and you haven’t yet done IM Wales, honestly it’s that good.

Yes Austria is also good but… non wetsuit swim and biblical weather on the bike this year that put my friend in an ambulance with hypothermia so goes to show that you take your chances with the weather at any race.
The finish line was also a bit of a disappointment, not such a great atmosphere and couldn’t see much of the athletes coming through. The finish in Italy by contrast was much better where I was encouraged enough by proceedings to stop to see the last competitor finish.

1 Like

Wales deffo is awesome but I can only measure it against the races I have done, also it ain’t fast.

I think it depends on how we quantify ‘best’

1 Like

Quality/size of the post race pasties :grin:

Wales is incredible and this will be my fourth consecutive year of attending: racing, sherpa, sherpa, racing in that order. It is possible to find reasonable accommodation, the support is amazing, and the location is beautiful.

However…

It is very hard! If you want a PB focus then Wales is not the course.

1 Like

I adore Wales :heart_eyes:
And Tenby is definitely on the list…but…

…I’ve not been sub10, yet.
So there’s that to do first.

It’s like your 10km PB being an hour…but that’s for some trail race where you came 8th.

2 Likes

As alluded to before, the date of Tenby is problematic for many of us with young kids at school; training through the summer holidays for an Ironman is far from optimal - actually it’s a non starter for me. There are other priorities.

How quick did Wales sell out this year, thi k it was before Christmas if I remember? And getting on cheap accommodation too? Think it’s the only one that could tempt me to go long again next year.

Yeah that’s true but Tenby has the advantage of being a ‘splash n dash’ if you want it to be. You can even register the day before, so Fri night drive, do the race and back early Mon morning, if you want.

Also, i’d say, one weekend away without family in Sept is far less disruptive than trying to shoehorn an IM into a family holiday and pretend everyone is having a good time. For me, IMs are too stressful to combine with a holiday but that’s just me.

Also, also, I’m extremely lucky to be able to go away on my own (if that suits) whenever I like to whichever races I like.
Mrs FP has no money but there is more than one way to marry well. :wink:

Exactly this :ok_hand:t4:

Or drive down Saturday, register and fart around, race Sunday and drive home. Work on Monday morning.
Did exactly that for my Outlaw years :+1:t3:

Yes, but you glossed over the bit about training through the school holidays! I could sign-up and aim to ‘finish’ but that’s not how I roll - certainly for that £££ entry fee. Oh and it’s my wife’s birthday around that weekend, even less reason to rock the boat!

Agreed about Ironman ‘holidays’. We don’t do them.

1 Like