Getting into Roth ...or maybe Austria ;)

When I went in 2012 I think it sold out in about 10 minutes or so, after that year it went down to seconds, although I do know 3 lads who all got in last year, so they are either quick with the mouse, I don’t think they used an agency.

I actually drove, ferry from Hull to Rotterdam and then drove, seem to recall it was the first day of the German school holidays and the roads were an absolute nightmare.

I stayed in Nuremburg but at least as I had my car I could get around fairly easily.

Can’t remember how much it cost, but I’d be surprised if I got much change out of £1.5k as I stayed over for a couple of days afterwards.

I loved the race and atmosphere but not totally sure I’d rush back, seem to recall the split transitions were a bit of a pain.

Jeff

Less of a pain than Frankfurt. Roth you drop the run bag with the bike stuff and it gets transported. Frankfurt you have to visit both transitions iirc.

Yes, think you are right, although T2 was in the centre of town, but I suppose it depends where you are staying.

I actually rode to T1 and followed google maps, it took me through a forest track on my TT bike with disc wheel :rofl:, although I must have had about 20+ people following me by the time I got there!

I think the fact I stayed in Nuremburg didn’t help but Roth isn’t very big from what I remember.

Jeff

Ok so I went for the online entry and got binned off, received the email that says book on with sports tours and you can get in, emailed back said too expensive with a bit of flannel…today I received an entry code so that’s next year sorted!

No idea about logistics but probably favour driving over flying will need cheap digs any suggestions on best place to stay?

1 Like

The drive isn’t too bad, I’m in for next year and contemplating driving again, probably on my own this time as we now have a 1 year old who I’m not sure would relish the trip!
I was thinking of staying in a log cabin at camp Waldsee this time as it looks quite nice! Everywhere else is booked now!

1 Like

Booked up already :scream::scream::scream:

I just thought “the cheek of it” when I received the SportsTours email.

Yes Poet, so did I, I guess emailing to say I was not very happy did the trick!

Anyway have now entered, best see about time off work,

I’ve finally got round to setting up my login on new forum, but just wanted to thank you for posting this. I also just missed out and got the sportstours email. So have tried your approach and sent a very nice email, but which basically says too expensive. Fingers crossed.

That said, last year my husband got a place after a few days when people hadn’t used their voucher code, so maybe that’s an option for me still…

Spectated this year and thought it was the best thing ever (enough to make me go back on “never doing IM again”). Unfortunately our flight back on the Monday after the race was too early to enable me to queue for a place.

2 Likes

Did you attach a file of the Simon Bates R2 ‘sad story’ music :rofl:

1 Like

Deleted my email in anger and then emptied my spam and trash in utter fury at the cheek of it :sob::see_no_evil:

Nothing like a knee-jerk reaction.

Although Austria is still available at Tier 4 for 590EUR + 8% :thinking:

You will probably prefer the Austria venue/course tbh, certainly logistically & for supporters. What Roth has is the ‘iconic’ status & Solarerberg, other than that, Austria is the better event imho.

One loop bike course at IMA, but I don’t like the look of that elevation :scream:
I cannot descend. At all.

I don’t think there are any technical descents; certainly not on the old course (loop 2 now).

What’s the elevation now? It was about 1600m before. I rode a conservative 5:25 last time out.

1490m now - the graph looks savage!
My rides look like this
————/\———————/^_________

http://m.eu.ironman.com/triathlon/events/emea/ironman/austria/athletes/course.aspx

Nice 18hr Drive & ferry there.

I have never heard Austria described as savage! That elevation is fine on those smooth roads; yes I know you’re used to very flat roads, but you’d have no trouble there. Couple that with the best Ironman swim I’ve done (again you’re quick enough to avoid congestion in the canal section) and a nice shaded run to finish, and well, you have a tip-top event.

As far as travel; I’d now fly to Ljubljana, hire a car and spend a few days back in Slovenia after the race (not far from Bled/Lake Bohinj). Or you could go via Salzburg for some culture; about a 90 min drive.

Shame the Stansted>Klagenfurt flight I used no longer exists.

1 Like

1490m in 112 miles is hardly savage, you can easily do that in 30 miles in the Peak! Get yourself out into the hills, work on your weaknesses and all that

1 Like

The finishing line area they constructed this year looked amazing too. I’ve told myself that I would wait a couple of years until my kids are slightly older before going long again. I’d say Austria or Lanza are probably top of my list if I went for a destination race

1 Like

Cheers buddy!
The swim is now a rolling start, so I’d seed in 65 and hope to draft all the way up and get dragged up to speed by the Uber biker 70+ minute swimmers.

Can you camp on the Worthersee, literally at transition? (Thinking a VW-T5 hire)
Stop at Metz there and Munich back

Ha ha ha :see_no_evil:
I used to live there and now enjoy the flat (potholed) roads of Cheshire, instead of the “get out” clause of the A6 through Derbyshire.

Cat & Fiddle / Long Hill look like good practice for that course (descending on the bars)

Not sure about the campsite now. In 2009 some friends did hire a caravan on that site right by the lake. I will look.

ETA - yes it’s still there, just minus the static caravans now. Anyone planning to go to IM Austria next year should book…NOW!

https://www.camping-woerthersee.at/

1 Like