Getting into Skateboarding

“Fashion 'boarder” :wink:
You skate in Palace - make sure it’s fully white, so when you fall over in your £150, it’s totally ruined forever :rofl:

Best deck ever is this:

3 Likes

Skate parks are wasted on skateboarders - much better on a BMX. If you do insist on taking up skateboarding though (I had to for similar reasons to you), what I found helped was practice on lots of different types of wobble/balance boards, squatting whilst balancing on one leg and lots of abs/core exercises. Also some shoulder work so you are robust enough to take the falls without getting any rotor cuff injuries.

1 Like

I bought one in June to skate with my daughter at our local park.

I went with a pink donut theme. Cost a pittance compared to what I spend on bike stuff. She uses it for friends when I am not with her, and when I can join I just do a few simple things like ollies and skating around. I haven’t dropped in yet as I don’t want a broken bone.

Edit: check out those trucks!

3 Likes

Yeah I looked at the BMXers and whilst I can already cycle I don’t have any more space for storing bikes, transport is difficult and they’re quite a big investment to get anything reasonable compared to skateboards.

That’s a beaut and those trucks :ok_hand:

slight tangent, I’ve had a pair of un-used in-line skates for too many years, always had an event I’d paid for meaning I wouldn’t risk using them in case I managed to break something. Does anyone have any tips on how to lessen the appearance of Bambi, was thinking maybe using trekking poles to try and stay upright, or less upside down at least

Just find somewhere flat, make sure your knees stay bent and relax. It’s not that hard if you have even semi reasonable balance.

1 Like

1st step done

https://forum.tritalk.co.uk/t/boast-about-your-recent-purchases-here/1045/2227?u=jgav

3 Likes

Mine ain’t as good as yours, barely used these days;

1 Like

I hope you aren’t skating In moccasins?? :joy::joy:

2 Likes

Ugg slippers. #Boujie

Got some Nike SB Janoski’s for skating in :ok_hand:t4::+1:t3:

1 Like

I feel reasonably equipped to answer on this one. I was a sk8rboi for 17 years, stopped around 30, but still have 2 boards in the garage that comes out for fresh air once in a while (47 now). Even got a Powell-Peralta triple-P tatoo. :slight_smile:

Now older I have found mainly 1 major difference - reaction time. When falling I used to be able to wriggle before I hit the ground and thus reduce impact, now I just seem to be on the ground before I even get a chance.

The main risk areas are ankles, hips and head. These are the ones that can take damage that can last in the form of sprains or rather serious bumps.

Secondary damage is in the form of scrapes and loss of skin. This is generally hands, knees and if you carry a bit of speed, shoulders. It grows back, nothing major.

Prevention is in a couple of ways.

First, unlike me, don’t think you’re 20 and try what you did when you were 20. It’ll hurt. Trust me. :slight_smile:

Second is helmet is mandatory. If you slip backwards it happens incredibly quickly, and head vs concrete only has one winner. Any other safety equipment is relatively useless unless you start proper ramp skating. Kneepads will be in the way for a lot of stuff and not really protect you anyway as you’ll be falling sideways, not forwards. Gloves might save some skin. Unlike on inliners where they are mandatory, wristguards doesn’t help all that much on a skateboard.

For shoes just try have something that’s close to the ground so you are close to the board. It’ll help on the balance if you avoid wearing your Hokas.

And yes, try keep a centre gravity and don’t lean back. Unless you’re going up a ramp in which case you’ll be leaning back a bit. But you’ll figure that one out.

Stay safe! :slight_smile:

PS: I’m well envious of that skatepark!

4 Likes