Giro - AS IT HAPPENS

Not sure if this is really a spoiler given it’s a pre-start fact, but…

G now officially abandons the race. Apparently has a pelvic fracture.

2 Likes

Poor sod. They guessed at that on the highlights last night.

1 Like

He was unlucky to go down as hard as that too. Mind you he’d probably have landed on his arm and broken his collar bone knowing his luck :pensive:

1 Like

I think TdF 2018 is the only time he hasn’t fallen off isn’t it? If he stays upright he wins, or put it another way, “he only has to stay upright to win… :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

Didn’t he finish the Tour with a pelvic fracture a few years ago?

Must be going soft :rofl:

2 Likes

‘only’ the giro innit

(Wiggins pretty much said that last night!)

2 Likes

Really feel for the guy but he has got a lot of history of not keeping the rubber on the road.

I wonder what his focus will be next year. They’ve got Carapaz, Bernal, Sivakov and Sosa as potential leaders.

As much as I love G I can’t see him getting leadership again, maybe Plan B.

Yep, and we’ve seen that they don’t do sentimentality.

What’s he got left on his contract? Does he do a Porte - go elsewhere for a couple of years then return to Ineos as a super dom/mentor?

1 Like

I think I mentioned this yesterday. In that race he was a domestique, so could still serve a purpose in the later weeks of the Tour. Here, as leader, the purpose of being there was over. There was no point.

My suggestion of whether he might have recovered enough to play a part in the Vuelta instead in a couple of weeks is still something worth considering

1 Like

still … there’s serving a purpose and there’s hauling yourself around France on a broken hip!!!

2 Likes

Where’s your bulldog spirit!

That only comes out on a Friday

The slavering & heavy breathing? :sweat_smile:

I don’t see him going elsewhere. Perhaps focus on the classics again.

that’s definitely every day!

Had he ticked off the Giro this year he could have had a pop at the Vuelta to complete the set. Now it’s much harder to see him getting 2 more shots at it. And the TT heavy Giro this year is not going to come around again very quickly.

Maybe all in for Tokyo next year, what’s the course like?

2 Likes

Ganna!

I wonder, Olympics next year then do a Wiggins and have a tilt at GC? I’m sure the Italians would oblige with a winnable Giro course…

2 Likes

21 individual TTs?

5 Likes

Fair play, that was a great ride from Ganna. When he accelerated away from De Gendt, you couldn’t even tell, as in he didn’t jump off his bike he just dropped a couple of gears and kept the cadence up as he sped off. Nice.

3 Likes

Wiggins wasn’t a climber, SDB has history for this.

1 Like