Gravel Riding Chit Chat

Basic Cinelli Della Strada with a Vittoria randonneur rear tyre.

Sketchy. At times. And hard work. At time.

9 Likes

That smile.

That’s what you get taking a bike over terrain off the beaten path that stretches it’s capabilities.

3 Likes

If anyone is after a discounted Gralloch entry ticket with campervan parking. I now can’t make it and have it available to sell.

1 Like

Where do you lot find out about tyres and gravel stuff?

Cycling sites are either MTB, or road, with not much in between.

I’m looking for a 40mm tyre that’s slick (ish) in the middle and knobbly at the edges. Something a little bit quicker really!

Current tyres need about 240W to do 30kmh on the flat :rofl::roll_eyes:

And doing less than 30kmh on the road breaks my heart :broken_heart:

Go and chat to the bald, old(er), chubby (don’t tell him I said that) guy at Trek in Bramhall. He’s pretty clued up on that stuff. Just don’t tell him you’re a triathlete :zipper_mouth_face:

2 Likes

Panaracer Gravel King perhaps?

2 Likes

Bit of a “Trek” for me :rofl::wink:

Pinarello here has nothing - no spares, nutrition, Silca Premio rolls etc.

Velo Edge in Alderley is much better. Owner is super chatty and the baristas are ex-TSC staff :+1:t3: (they’ve got Silca and Rapha :roll_eyes::rofl:)

TSC was awesome. They were just great to chat to, could recommend stuff and get stuff in next day for you.

Does this bloke you speak of do the gravel rides on Sunday, with a couple of my pals?
(Always looks too slow, too many stops, for me - 9 photos in 3hrs = far too much faffing :face_with_peeking_eye:)

No. Funnily enough, he’s moving to pinarello.

It’s my husband. He’s a bit nicer than the rest and less of a show-off than the other bloke. But I may be biased in my opinion.

4 Likes

Specialized Pathfinder Pro. Either 38 or 42 and there is an S Works version for less weight. Slick centre, slight outer knobble.

Also

2 Likes

The bicycle rolling resistance test is useless. Top Tyre is GP5000 STR 32mm: this is not in any way a gravel Tyre. At least if they are going to test gravel tyres surely they must have extra puncture resistance and some knobbles

1 Like

Cheers!
(And @r0bh) :+1:t3:

I’ve found that Pirelli do an All Road Cinturato that has a slick centre. I’ve got them at the moment. So probably gonna plump for them.

True, although it does give you the chance to check the how good or bad the knobbly tyres you have short listed might compare on paved roads. For instance it seems the Pirelli Gravel M designed for mud have better rolling resistance than the Gravel RC designed for racing. No weight advantage to the race tyres either.

1 Like

Like, how does that work???

Knobbles be bad, right???

:man_shrugging:
Lots of options listed here. They seems to quite like the Schwalbe Overland, which has good rolling resistance figures too.
https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/buyers-guides/best-gravel-tyres

1 Like

Looks like @Sowler (corrected tyre size!) was right!

That Pirelli Cinturato All Road is made to a
Much lower price point and once half the TPI of my current tyres. It’s not great.

That Spesh S•Works Pathfinder Pro at 38mm looks like just the ticket :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Mine have been pretty puncture resistant TBF not had many over the years tubeless.

There is no 40 you’ve got 38s or 42s :joy:

2 Likes

Corrected now.
What do you have? Width wise?

My current ones are 42mm at 38psi, with inserts and tubeless. Super super comfy. And the inserts are great for “run flat” type stuff like when the sidewall tears, or I’m an idiot and don’t top up the sealant after a year :rofl::face_with_peeking_eye::roll_eyes:

38s but that was what came with the bike and then I got a second pair for TCR and decided I’d prefer thinner for a predominantly road event. Maybe stick with 42s if you have them already and find them comfy.

1 Like

I’ve also heard these are great. Trying to get some myself.

1 Like

What width fits a tcr comfortably?