Gravel Riding Chit Chat

Ahhh sorry Trans Continental, not the bike!

2 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Love acronyms.

@joex - Cheapest place in UK just happens to be the shop in Congleton (16miles down the road for me … and I actually pass it tomorrow!)

1 Like

Doh, I got it right with one post and missed it in this one ha ha

I’m realising just how many no cycling signs there are on the trails near me, so sad but at the same time it would ruin my running trails I’m sure.

Plus they’re trying to stop young people having, not old fat blokes on tourers like me.

Will look a bit further out as the dog botherers are giving me eyes. Kind of discouraging still.

1 Like

Get a massive blaring horn.
That makes them nearly fall into the canal.

Doing rear wheel skids also gives them the jeebiez!

As they don’t hear my bell, whistles, shouts or polite asks.

1 Like

Finished building my new gravel bike yesterday

15 Likes

Looks mint!

And you’ve got properly routed cables there - allowing easy headset replacement :rofl::rofl::face_with_peeking_eye:

Wow

Found my way on to the North Downs Link - never experienced such flatness outside an IM.

IMG_5350

I completely understand the Roubaix future shock feature now. Must be nice to live near here and have a route to the sea like that. Amazing.

2 Likes

Right, @r0bh and @GeordieM - this is what the headset looks like :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::triumph:

I’ve clipped the olives and barbs off the hose and unwrapped the bar tape to thread everything off.

Bar tape could do with replacing, but I’m likely to crash again and I can’t find any in stock.

Headset is so rusted I can’t see the size and it’s a really odd one by the looks of things (50mm x 41mm x 6.5mm … or something, I’m going to call Orro today)

WTF is that :joy:

Think it might be one of these:

https://www.tokenproducts.com/headsets/cable-box

1 Like

Ha ha ha - yeah. It’s nightmare-ish, right?

Good find! Thanks @r0bh :white_check_mark::tada:
I’d assumed the Orro site was just the cable box, which I’ve taken off!!! And not the bearings too.

It’s a 52mm OD x 40mm ID x 7mm 45° :white_check_mark::moneybag:
Madness.

That manual seems to say 51.8mm x 39.8mm :triumph:
FFS!!! Maybe the tolerance is okay.

£135 to change a headset :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
Mind you, I’ll have the bits for next time. And the bar tape is £36 of that (which I’ve bought for next time, as found somewhere with it in stock)

1 Like

Love that you’ve left the wheel in the fork :rofl: Why not I guess.

That’s a weird headset. Best of luck :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

WHAT. THE. FUCK. ARE. HYDRAULIC. BRAKES. ABOUT. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

75 minutes for the front.
And it’s spongyAF.
And I’ve burped it.
New blocks too.

Headset and cutting steerer took about 15 mins.

Pissed off.
More to do tomorrow.

3 Likes

Also hate them, also stuck in the 00’s with you lad :joy:

1 Like

Add £22.49 to that for a Papa Johns, because I didn’t make supper and now I’m STARVING WITH ANGER :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

@jeffb - What’s with all of the tilting and burping? They’re a set of brakes. Not a newborn baby.

3 Likes

Poet the days of fettling your own bike has gone the way of the home car mechanic.

Down tools. Subscribe to something. Let direct debit take all your money. Go on a ULEZ/modern world protest or something.

Steel frame, rim brakes, solid tyres, enjoy spending your weekends tinkering and fuck the world.

1 Like

Shimano or SRAM? Do you have a bleed kit?

I’ve had some success bleeding\burping them but it just seems to be a massive faff on and messy compared to good old wires, I know they stretched and seized but were a few quid to change without have to disassemble most of the bike!

Worse is when they slightly rub and are a massive pain to get just right.

I know people will say they brake better but I survived without them!

2 Likes

In my experience Shimano hydraulic disc brakes are pretty easy to bleed and once you have they are basically “fit and forget”

I’ve less experience with SRAM but fitted some recently and bleeding wasn’t too bad with the two syringe set up.

And get one of these to get the caliper aligned and the pads spaced properly

https://amzn.eu/d/gSxeUIB

2 Likes

Yeah, got one of those, would you believe it, the warning about having a sharp edge turned out to be true and I had to avoid swimming for a few days with a deep gash in my thumb :roll_eyes: :rofl:

Also, it didn’t work very well, but I cracked it eventually.

1 Like