Gravel Riding Chit Chat

Kielder was utterly grim - like WHEN IS THIS GOING TO END :rofl: I’d not do Dirty Reiver now, based on that.

Just featureless man made forest as far as the eye could see. And it was either up, or down. Zero flat.

At least in Scotland there was a nice view and some flat parts, plus some weird tarmac roads through the forests.

2 Likes

I’ve done some walking and running in Kielder forest (I used to live in Northumberland as a teen) and it is dull AF. The Dirty Reiver is not even on my radar for gravel sportives. The YouTube vids of the Reiver are unbearably boring.

Girona is next on my list for cycle tourism… perhaps a gravel week.

2 Likes

ME TOO!!!
Got the wife and daughter sign-off, so long as I’m back for 10am for brunch, they’re happy.

Loads of brunch type hipster places, who all speak English :face_with_peeking_eye::rofl:

1 Like

You seen the weather this weekend and week???
Is this on?

This weekend would be ideal, but I’ve a massive ear infection making me miserable and sleepless. Got antibiotics. I’m hoping the good weather holds out another week…

2 Likes

Yeah, so erm … don’t watch this one :rofl:

(I did the 300km with this tailwind, final 10km we were doing 30kmh - 40kmh easily :rofl:)

1 Like
3 Likes

Seems strange that with 2 weeks until the event I’m still getting emails asking me to enter the British Gravel Champs.

£72 doesn’t seem a crazy price & I’d have thought this was a pretty prestigious event on the trails used by The Gralloch that have proven to be popular.

Is there such a little appetite for racing? Is the British gravel rider more happy to do the sportive type events?

There are also still entries for the Ruthin UCI World’s Qualifier on 20/09…are you in for this @Poet ?

1 Like

I am - even did a recce last weekend

2 Likes

I’m not doing it - I’ve got that aquathlon - but I did one lap a couple of weeks ago. How did you find it?

Having done The Gralloch last year - if there’s a similar field - it narrows quickly onto that bit of singletrack which although being great fun on your own might get messy with loads around you. With 1000m of climb/lap the crowd will certainly have been winnowed down by the 2nd lap.

No particularly long or steep climbs, not very technical, just attritional really

1 Like

I have managed to convince Mr to enter. Now he’s going into mega serious mode. I think he’ll be blowing out his arse and might not finish but I needed him to have a focus and get off that arse. Hopefully it’ll kick him to focus on a couple of races next year.

9 Likes

No. Isn’t it 2,000m elevation in 110km :see_no_evil::joy:

Also, bike racing isnt for me any more. too
many indoor warriors who cant handle a bike.

been there, done that, got the scars and dull aches in previously broken bones.

2 Likes

Is Mr a hypnotist?

I can’t imagine there are many on here who’s wife/partner actually encourages them to enter events :grinning:.

4 Likes

:joy::joy::joy: no we both agree that training for an ironman is only for the selfish that hate their family :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

However we both love sport, the outdoors and feeling fit so we have to support each other. His kids are late teens now - they don’t want/need parents much anymore (apart from money) so he needs to get himself fit again.

4 Likes

I was about to press go but then realised I have a duathlon on the Sunday. It turning out to be a local smack down so I’ll save myself for that.

4 Likes

After a few weeks on my road bike, commuted on the gravel bike yesterday and watched these on the way home … just a shame it’s dark nights and cold evenings/mornings now;

1 Like

As someone who silently judges people that listen to music/podcasts while cycling, I don’t think I could keep it to myself if I saw someone watching a screen.

But kudos to your skillz.

4 Likes

Snarky comments aside that Traws Eryri episode was great.

Like you I’d pencilled it in as a 2024 adventure but then I was distracted by other challenges.

If I’m honest my cycling has nosedived this year since about May & I think I blame the weather. I kept myself motivated throughout winter with the thought of summery miles to come but summer just never arrived…so I lost the love.

3 Likes

Eh?!?!

Summer was glorious!!!
25° and higher start of August.
June was incredible, as was May and some of July!!!

Sorry; to be clear. I get the train to Nuneaton, then cycle 18km in from there, as it’s quicker than a direct train. But no trains that way home, so get the train all of the way (save for a 6km pootle to the station!) so I watched these on the train :heart_eyes:

Erm … so I’m on the waiting list for that Ruthin event :see_no_evil::joy:
I’ve done hills on my road bike and everything.

3 Likes