Halfords closing Boardman Centre & Cycle Republic

Just seen statement from Chris Boardman saying he hopes to find a buyer.
It was always a bit above my level but possibly in wrong part of country, maybe nearer London would have done better.

Perfect timing :roll_eyes:

Cyclic Republic across the street from my office in the City. It was always a bit shit in terms of what they stocked, but the mechanics were very helpful, and one of them did me a solid once on a part I needed (for free).

A guy at the TT on Saturday had just been up there. £400 quid for 2 hours in the wind tunnel and it sounded really really time well spent. I had decided to go and treat myself rather than fork out for a disc wheel and then read this :frowning:

EDIT: to elaborate they took him from a previously fitted position he hated, to a very comfy position he loves for 0W cost overall. He smashed everyone to bits on Saturday too.

4 Likes

Just seen on FB that Boardman Centre has closed with immediate effect. I guess it’s been closed since the lockdown and with Halfords pulling the plug on it anyway there wasn’t any point carrying on. There was a footnote saying they still hoped to find a new operator but in the current climate you’ve got to wonder how likely that is.
I wonder if someone like Ineos could pick it up to do their own testing and the public sessions help offset some of the cost.

What was the Boardman Centre just reopened as a kids trampoline, gymnastic, ninja? centre.
Glad it’s being used, and something active too, but wonder what happened to all the wind tunnel gubbins as appears to have been gutted.
https://www.facebook.com/1525593554351348/posts/3154183571492330/?sfnsn=scwspmo

2 Likes

Much better than gymnastics - although really you need parkour so you can learn to not injure yourself first.

1 Like

It’s all going up to the velodrome in Derby (for Huub and Dan Bigham to use) is what I’ve heard :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

I’d have had it out of the skip if that was how they were disposing if it. Probably not though.

1 Like

Bit big for your garage I’d imagine :sweat_smile:

1 Like

A wind tunnel fan would be ideal for Zwifting🤣

4 Likes

So it’s ended up in Manchester for the princely sum of £1 :thinking:

2 Likes

quit after the first few sentences.
What an absolute load of twaffle.

Yes, Manchester is cold and wet, we don’t need telling again.
Tell us about the damn wind tunnel.

Bored. Attention span of a gnat.

4 Likes

May as well throw ‘Madchester’ in for a laugh.

1 Like

Even in the meat of the article it doesn’t go into the tunnel itself much. More about how it’s location will mean athletes can use it on a regular basis and refine their gear/position over time.
Probably better to look at articles from when it opened in Evesham for details about the spec. etc.
My Tri club had a tour from Boardman himself when it opened and the bit that always sticks in my mind is that there is a completely useless staircase on the right of the intake side of the tunnel to make sure the room is completely symmetrical as there is a real staircase on the left hand side.

2 Likes

I gave up. I liked the article’s style actually but that website is utter dog shit. How many adverts?

1 Like

Oh how I could go into a long boring explanation for the need of the redundant staircase. What it comes down to is - balance.

They have needed one for a while and no surprise that liquidated assets are sold of for £1. A full article on it is pushing their luck a bit.

3 Likes

I found a couple of pics on my FB. You can see the staircase at the back of the first pic, there was literally just a brick wall at the top of it. The real one is behind me in that pic.

Cold and wet, I don’t know what you’re talking about… All good here - just about to tuck into some fish and chips out of a pan lid (she must read Andy Capp)

1 Like

It’s rough, smells of beer, but the atmosphere is warm.

Erm. Thanks :woman_shrugging:t4:

But, I wouldn’t live down there for thirty quid a week, either.

I’ll enjoy my one pot meals from a saucepan lid and drink beer everyday, ta nicely.