Headphones

But commuting in headphones does not sound like a good idea, unless completely off road and not many other pedestrians.

I refer you to the original post.

1. Running not cycling
  2. Don’t want noise cancelling

:woman_shrugging:t4:

I don’t know the route or the congestion, but even running at commuting times I would want to be fully aware of other traffic and pedestrians. Unless you are not crossing any roads and there is not much other foot traffic.

I use the Jaybird Tarah Pro.
Three fit buds, great bass and you can alter the sound via the App.

Think they’re £70 from John Lewis (the Chester one is far less busy than Trafford Centre or Cheadle/Wilmslow)

I like the fact they have a neck wire, as you can just loop them around your neck when not required.
I’d be concerned about the truly wireless ones.
One downside about the Jaybird’s is the truly silly proprietary charging thing. It’s not a micro USB, but some odd little thing. However, it works and I get about six hours of use from them.

RE: Commuting and headphones

It’s like helmets, isn’t it?
All about perception.
Deaf people are perfectly safe whilst running or cycling on roads.

The only time I don’t wear headphones is whilst riding or running with a group (including races)
I can’t stand birdsong

1 Like

Beats earbuds don’t know the model.

I’ve used a couple of wireless bluetooth types, both with wire between each earphone.

Used my wife’s Jabra sport pace which has the loop over the top of the ear, they were fairly cheap and sound quality was pretty good. Good thing about the loop over the ear is they never moved even when running off road.

Currently have the Bose Sound Sport, they go inside the ear with a little rubber bit that keeps them locked in the ear. Again pretty secure but have noticed them slipping a little but when really sweaty in the summer. Sound quality is excellent and far better than the Jabra, but I guess that’s why they’re more expensive. I find them a bit more comfortable than the Jabra on long runs.

If my Bose broke I would definitely buy again.

I’ve tried Apple stuff, but they just pop out of my ears as soon as I move. Although the wired one’s work if I put them in upside down and loop the cable over my ear. :upside_down_face:

I’ve bought some Jabra 75t’s, quite impressed so far. Never been able to get in ear headphones to stay in but these feel really secure, even more so than the 65t’s that I also tried.

My beatsx just died. :roll_eyes:

Any experience with being picked up as a cadence meter? One of my many pain-in-the-ass Zwift Run sessions it kept pairing cadence with someone’s Jabra 75s. :rage:

Very wierd! Not tried them on a Zwift session yet.

First “commute” run today. It is a good way to start the day. Just wondering how the run home will be. It is only just over 5 miles but I’m plain lazy so any excuse to avoid it will be taken. But marathons don’t run themselves :roll_eyes: (not done one since 2016, tough getting going again).

As for the Jabra’s - my first short run with them last weekend was a bit of a disaster. But today they were ok. Cold enough for a beanie this morning so they were under that, and comfortable enough for me. Sound was good - may need to make some adjustments.

My only hesitation is the 2 separate earbuds, I think I might be a bit clumsy for that. Time will tell.

5 miles is a nice distance though, not too far that it becomes too easy to sack-it-off, and 10 miles both ways.

Are these Kitsound ones from Tesco a particular recommendation, or just same as any other cheap generic pair?
I currently use apple earphones that used to come free with phones, fall out a lot running.

I just put them through the wash and they still work; can’t argue with that. I haven’t bought an expensive pair of earphones for years, but doubt the sound quality is the same. But again, for £5 what’s to lose!

I picked up a pair of the Marshall’s Minor 2 from TK Maxx for £30 as the box was crushed. The fit isn’t for everyone according to the reviews but they are making my Turbo sessions mor enjoyable as I’m not thinking that the sweat was destroying my Bose headphones.

Just an update to say that I’ve been really impressed with the Jabra 75t’s. The only in ear headphones that I’ve been able to get to stay in.
Handy small charging case ideal for cycling & large single button you can press with gloves on.
Carry these in my pocket pretty much every where I go.

1 Like

Anyone who’s tried the bone conduction headphones properly, how much do you just get wind noise when cycling, or traffic noise when running. I’d normally run in normal headphones, so please don’t say that’s the point of them :sweat_smile: questions as to whether in running or even just day to day life you can hear things well enough to overcome ambient noise?

I’ve put them on in a shop for a few seconds and sound good, but obviously different to real world especially cycling in the wind/speed. I tend to listen to podcasts on £5 headphones, so perceived lack of quality with bone conduction doesn’t bother me, they’re miles better than what I normally use!

Edit: some of the online reviews are pretty unfavourable once hit 30kph and above.

I have an old model, still going strong after 3-4 years so pretty good from that perspective.

I don’t cycle in them, so cannot comment on high speed wind noise. When I run in them they do their job, I can hear whatever is playing OK and still hear vehicles approaching from behind etc. To be honest I find concentration to be the bigger distraction. If I am listening to the headphones it can take me out of the environment - which is the point right? But it means I can cross roads without thinking and end up in places without realising how I got there. So I wouldn’t regard them as much safer than normal headphones.

Couple of downsides, if I wear them for prolonged periods, the pressure on the temples builds up - as they rely on reasonable pressure for the conduction. Newer models may be better. Also, if I wear them around the house (I mostly use them whilst cooking these days) my wife complains about a lot of noise spill. Again, newer models may have improved on this.

bought a pair bluetooth headphones 18 months ago for the hours on Zwift , while they have been fantastic both with connection and sound. Unfortunately my sweat has rotted the form and covers and they stink now :nauseated_face:, so thinking of buying some of these .Anyone any thoughts of cheaper options as they well above my budget !

they must be able to loud :slight_smile:

I got given a pair of Aftershokz Aeropex for my birthday. Used them on Sunday for a 20 mile run and they were brilliant, very light, don’t block ears and sound was fine. Supposedly water/sweat proof (IP67), Zwift season will test that…

3 Likes

I broke my wired headphones when I was on zwift. I’ve switched to a google mini nest which is great.