Heart Rate issue

I can’t keep mine down at all with any effort at all and also can’t put any power out at high cadence.

When I was out of action for 2 weeks with my shoulder I wasn’t sleeping at all. 1-2 hours a day for 8-10 days. Probably got 3-4 hours on the last 2. Then 4-5 hours for a week.

It has absolutely killed me off, no energy at all, tired all the time it has really got me down.

HR while running is in Z3 for barely any effort at all and on the bike where I was 200w for 160bpm in December, I’m 160bpm at 175w now.

Tried to do 2 minute threshold efforts last night at 90+rpm and was dying after 40 seconds. Dropped to 70rpm and while struggling it was much more comfortable.

I’m baffled. I slept for 8 hours last night for the 1st time this year.

Any ideas?

what’s your RHR?? and is your HR varying a lot when you are resting and you get feelings of arhythmia (heart flutters)??

1 Like

Sounds like your body is trying to tell you that it is in recovery mode; chill out, eat well, sleep more. Trying to train now is likely to be counterproductive

2 Likes

To me, this means one of 3 things:

• you’re over fatigued
  • you’re ill (your body is fighting something)
  • you’re HRM is faulty/not very effective. Could be too loose on chest or Optical.

My HR is all over the place with my OHR on my 935; but I can nearly always tell if something’s amiss.

1 Like

Judgin by your opening post, i agree with @r0bh. Sleep is massively important, and your body has been desperately trying to heal that injury, and maybe even potential infections/bugs whilst your immune system was already down and hammered.

Forget about the numbers for a couple of weeks. Rest and eat as well as you can. Exercise lightly most days, but be body aware. I think big efforts/intervals would just be counter productive at the mo.

Then see how you are in a couple of weeks, and start to up the intensity a little bit.

1 Like

After the 2-3 weeks you had i”d be starting at the very very bottom.

Bad sleep for one night doesn’t effect athletic performance, who really sleeps well the night before a full distance race?

5-6 nights poor sleep can have a serious effect on athletic performance, it will take a good few days to recover from that, well it would me.

Most of us know how to get ourselves in shape at our ages on here, and what works for us,

Any very unusual heart activity I’d get it checked out straight away, but being honest that’s what I’d expect performance wise, my max watts … which are pitiful… are best at 70 rpm, at 100 I’d literally fall to pieces.

One day at a time and get better soon.

1 Like

I was hoping for a Human Resources (remains) thread.
Heart rate is affected by so much, hydration, sleep, training, time of day, blah blah blah.
Normal is to drink and sleep to recover. Power meter is good on a bike to really see what is occurring.

But if your HR is playing up / or not, have a glass of water, relax, get some sleep. If that makes no changes. Seek further advice on Facebook or more wisely a trained professional.

3 Likes

yep - and what I failed to do so my then undetected atrial fibrillation led to a minor stroke and ongong my AF has prevented me from going as hard as I like with exercise. I assumed my ignorance of the AF was down to my advancing age, loss of mojo, stress etc and just didn’t think anything was seriously wrong with my ticker until it bit me in the arse (well, brain actually).

3 Likes

I was going to start a thread on this. Covid had a noticeable impact on my HR during exercise, coupled with not sleeping as well. 10-20% higher HR for the same pace and conditions. Just something to bare in-mind. It seemed to return to normal after 7-10 days.

1 Like

Cheers all, more sleep sounds like the order of the day.

@fatbuddha RHR was just 64bpm sat here now and breathing deeply. Will check when I’m properly relaxed, it used to be around 47

check to see if you have heart flutters - if you do, go get checked out. one of the other symptoms of AF is a strong feeling of dizziness when going from prone to sitting - another thing I ignored.

1 Like

not specifically connected with this HR matter, but my next door neighbour, Chris, died after a massive heart attack yesterday afternoon. just collapsed at his BiL’s place and paramedics tried their best for an hour but no success.

lovely bloke, but his own worst enemy. he and his wife only moved in 6 months ago and set about doing something with the house from the off (which was needed) but at 72, and with having had a heart attack a year earlier, he should have been taking things more slowly. but he was one of those guys who just wouldn’t sit still - always had to be doing something and in all weathers. in the last week he’d shifted a load of sleepers to make deep beds, moved a tonne of sand, bags of concrete, dug up paving slabs - and had been working outside through the recent cold weather. he just would not stop but I guess that was his downfall - too much stress on his heart.

I’d been speaking to him about an hour before he died and he diidn’t look great in hindsight - quite grey and tired.

RIP Chris - you’re going to be missed

8 Likes

I’m sure you mentioned him ploughing away at yet another job just the other day, sorry to hear that FB.

yep - he’d just started building the deep beds. why the fuck he wanted to do it in cold wet weather and on ground that is saturated like a bog, I have no idea but he just would not take things easy.

Yeah, it was already quite a foreboding post.
Sad to hear you called it correctly

both me and Mrs FB just kept shaking our heads at the way he wouldn’t stop but it’s not our position to interfere in other people’s lives, although I did tell him a few times to slow down and leave stuff until the weather improves.

we feel sorry for his wife, Edna. we spoke to her yesterday evening to offer our condolences. Sadly, she’s not the sharpest pin in the box with poor IT skills (she freely admits this) which could cause her a few problems in sorting out Chris’s affairs so we’ve offered to help as much as we can and she wants.

3 Likes

We’ve got this with my Nan. She’s late 80s/ early 90s, her husband (grandad) has pretty bad dementia, so requires a lot of physical and emotional support yet she still works down my Uncle’s Garden Centre at least 3 days a week. All weathers she’ll be in the sheds potting up, watering, on the tills etc.

Two years ago she had a big party at the house, catered for close to 100 people. Was cooking and preparing for weeks.

She’s had health scares over the past few years as well, but despite all the family trying to intervene, there is literally no stopping her. I suspect she’d probably keel over if she did stop. Tough woman!

I do understand this part though. I certainly think there’s something to be said for retaining a “purpose”. I’ve seen it a lot with elderly relatives over the years where slowing down ends up equating to giving up, and they deteriorate very quickly after that. As with everything, it’s probably about finding a balance.

4 Likes

kind of gives credence to the adage of “I’ll drop when I stop”.

Sorry to hear that @fatbuddha, never nice or easy.

1 Like