Helvellyn

Oh, and get some cold water swim practice in. At Wensleydale I was fscking freezing, compromising my swim. By the time Helvellyn came around, at same temperature, I was fine whilst various others were saying ‘it were freezing!’

1 Like

Luckily our local river isn’t much warmer ATM and I was in again today :cold_face:

1 Like

HELP!
Anyone who knows the area…

…my wife would now like to tag along and make a weekend of it.

We want to take the dog but don’t really want to stay in a cottage, would also need to be in Glenridding really, as she might want to come down and walk the dog just in time for me finishing.

Any ideas?
Wouldn’t mind staying in a cottage, but they all want half a kidney for the honour, or are fully booked.

1 Like

We’ve just been through this.

Ended up with an air b&b just west of Kendal.

Some eye watering prices and not much to choose from! :sob::sob:

1 Like

Penrith is only 30mins away, is the Travelodge all booked up?

For the last 10 or so years we have had a family meet up for a pre-Christmas meal at The Brantwood Arms in Stainton, we’ve never stayed there but there are rooms available.

https://www.brantwoodhotel.co.uk/

(Dogs may complicate matters)

You say “only 30 minutes…”
My wife doesn’t drive, so that’s a good 4.5hr walk.

If I take the car to drive to the race, that leaves her couped up in some hotel/B&B at the arse end of nowhere with nowt to do.

It’s a shame the Glenridding doesn’t allow dogs, as that’d be perfect :cry:

Would she be against getting the bus, I’m sure there’s one that goes through Glenridding, not sure of route though.

There really isn’t much choice round there, there’s Patterdale hall but it could be full as well, it’s a nice hall but dorms etc.

Bus on a Sunday, with a dog?

It looks like a bust for her :cry:
Glenridding is £490 for two nights with a dog!!!

Leave the dog at home? Someone nearby that could give it a feed and a walk?

Yes, but then that bypasses the point of her coming.
The dog would keep her company and there’s things for the dog to do (like sniffing a new area, mainly)

fair enough.

I thought it was more seeing her dearly beloved bringing the smackdown onto his lovely internet mates. Showing them who’s boss ya know. And then she can bask in the eternal, vicarious glory as you stand on the TT TOP STEP.

:smile:

1 Like

Nah.
She’d stay at the accomodation until just about finish time then mosey on down to watch me finish.

She came to Clitheroe sprint (400m swim, 30km hilly bike, 8km run!) as her first one and wasn’t impressed with;

The amount of pre-race fannying about (packing, unpacking, warming up, registering, racking, warming up, chatting to other athletes instead of her)
The “spectating” is a bit crap really, isn’t it? You’re literally stuck in a field for an hour plus, and will maybe see the other half three times?
The amount of post-race fannying on.

I have warned her all of this will be going on again, but she is determined to come along this time…

@Chriswim will take out the TT top step by a good 15 minutes.

1 Like

Yep, my wife doesn’t even pretend to be interested now. She’s been to a couple of short running races, and got annoyed when i barely registered a wave (as i’m nuts out, 194 bpm hanging on in a 5/10km!!).

She came to see me at IM Wales in 2013, as that was really ‘out there’ as far as anything i had ever attempted before. So she understood what it meant to me. Luckily we were staying with my family, so she had company all day. And then my mum, dad and sister came down in the afternoon. So she actually had a really good day with the atmosphere etc. It’s not worth it with kids though - super boring for them!

Ultras are even worse! You may see me once on a spot on the course, and then at the end. But i want to chat to my mates and chew the fat about the race when i’ve finished! haha

1 Like

Love your confidence :+1::rofl: not trying to modest sandbag, but suspect a few here will be equal or better including yourself.

My prediction:
4:05-10 total.
21-22 minute swim
~2:10 bike, maybe towards 2:05 if conditions are great.
~ 1:30-1:35 run - pure guess as never done a fell run, but normally amongst run leaders on road tris, but also haven’t ran beyond easy 5 mile for few months but MTSS looks to be settling and working back to fitness by time of Helvellyn.

Much more importantly, enjoy a fun day out, get back to what it’s all about!

My partner is oddly incredibly supportive! :heart_eyes: Seems to enjoy watching. I fully expected to be coming up on my own but she wants to come, and bring her sister. If so I’d recommend they enjoy some time in Ambleside and head up to see some cycling on the Struggle.

2 Likes

Pfft!!!
Your bike will easily be under two hours!
Surely you can swim a mile under 22mins?
I suppose taking it easy on the swim, like?

I’m barely in 90 minute HM shape at the minute.
Not ran hard since 20th March :see_no_evil: (when I was in 80 minute shape)

Hmm, I average <30kph on nearly all rides with any hills, but looking now my recce was at 28.8kph and I reckon I can ride bit harder on raceday and still run so maybe. I took 2:20 last week but that was for 67km as missed a turn, I thought I’d only done extra couple of km but if have 7km to take off then yeah maybe 2hrs or under is realistic if same dry calm weather!

As for the swim I normally average around 1:18/100 open water. Not swam since March (my longest break since I joined a club aged 4, maybe ever longer! :joy:) so hence estimated a little bit slower than that.

1 Like

I found my clubmate’s race report from last year.

4 Likes

My best time seems to be 4:12 in 2014, with splits

0:27
2:00:30
1:40:30

It was a good day and I must have been going quite well.

Last 2 times have been a bit of a disaster and blisters haven’t helped. 4:26 & 4:32 or something.

I’d be happy with something around 4:25 if conditions are decent.

2 Likes

I AM IN!

I put down 25:28 for my 1 mile swim time (1:35/100m * 16.09, yes?)

Time to look for accommodation today :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Good to have you on board @Poet

I may have to adjust my swim time, I was obviously a bit excited when filling out my entry :joy: :rofl: :joy:

Is anyone hoping to get up for a recce of the bike/run courses?..perhaps easier for us Northen-ish based affletes.

1 Like