Holidays in Alpine regions (AT/FR/IT, Rockies etc)

This years trip to Garmisch/Erding seemed pretty successful once we found some local pools for the kids to swim in! So based on that, we’re wondering if we might go somewhere else mountainous next year, if the facilities and price are right. I’d rule out CH as I think it’s just cost prohibitive when you can go to neighbouring countries for less (particularly AT/IT). Happy for @Matthew_Spooner to convince me otherwise. If we were going to splurge both being 50 next year, might look at Colorado too. I’ve been to Cham climbing a few times; love it, but it doesn’t need to be that ‘awesome’ as we won’t be climbing! I also think there are cheaper alternatives.

Basically we just need these main pillars:

• Local town with shopping facilities & restaurants (we’d have a hire car, but would be nice to walk)
  • Apartment with a pool OR a decent local pool in the town.
  • Some interesting stuff within an hour drive.

So any suggestions, based on experience/knowledge? Thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Switzerland needn’t be crazy money.

I have done 3 trips there in the last few years, admittedly helped by having a friend in Lausanne.

But the first one, I just got an Easy Jet plane to Geneva and walked part of the Jura Crest trail staying in mountain refuges like Chalet Gralet (free).

https://gralet.mon-paysdegex.fr/default_main.php

The whole trip cost less than £200, admittedly solo not with families. But if your gang are hikers, game on

3 Likes

in Geneva you can swim in the lake in a proper open air pool with lifeguards and cafe etc, I seem to remember entry was either 1 or 2 CHF

Then another year went with Mrs and 3 friends to the town that is pronounced “Bitch”. maybe it’s Bitsch but a rich vein of puns was mined. Helped by our friend knowing someone with a chalet so accom was free. But apart from that, did all shopping at Lidl and there are geothermally heated spa baths to swim in for a frd CHF. And the mountain hikes and glaciers etc were superb.

Last year went walking just with my mate and his dog. Stayed at his gaff. Easyjet Brizzle Geneva again. Some cracking walks and to my amazement 2 large beers on the lakefront at Thun only cost £10 (total)

4 Likes

Sorry to keep posting but you have pressed my button with this post

The other places we went with the kids were camping in Annecy (about 5 times) - campsite with pool, beach at doussard- and also Tenerife.

Tenerife is an interesting one because you have the option to stay in am affordable grockle hotel, get there by budget airline, yet still climb Teide the highest peak in Spain and often snow capped

4 Likes

Zell am See/Kaprun or somewhere in that area? Loads of options for hotels and lots of thermal spas pools around there. We stayed up a side valley at Rauris a good few years ago when skiing and it was a nice little town, but maybe a little quiet for a family break. Over the mountains was Bad Hofgastein which had a really nice thermal spa. https://www.alpentherme.com/en/spa-resort-sauna

4 Likes

We almost planned on driving through the Rockies from Calgary to Vancouver this summer - well imminently - fortunately we didn’t, as the route we’d’ve taken is now closed due to fires, it would’ve been a 10+ hour drive to go the other route…

Doesn’t really help in any way at all, but I thought I’d join in with the anecdotes…

(got a few days in whistler, does that count? )

6 Likes

If you choose CH you could always slip this in… what dss123 from TT1 got up to yesterday :exploding_head:

3 Likes

I stayed in Annecy a few weeks ago, that was amazing and would definitely recommend.

Somewhere on the Fr/IT border would be good. I stayed with my brother in law in a town called Fontanelle which is pretty small but bigger towns are a short drive away. It’s an hour ish south of Turin and I like Italian cuisine

The mountains are about 20 minutes away and are incredible. Loads to do up there

5 Likes

Based on JibberJim’s post, I’ll second that idea, Banff, Lake Louise, Icefields, Jasper. Stay at the Fairmont Chateau of course. $$$ :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Europe would win for me. No flight, can drive etc…

Found food very expensive in the US last year. Gas is cheap though

5 Likes

Is that the hotel they used for The Shining?

2 Likes

I think we paid something well over 3000 for the flights - food doesn’t matter much! - although they threw the car hire in for that.

1 Like

I would add Whistler to that list. Perhaps a few days on Vancouver Island for the wildlife

3 Likes

don’t want to Iook like a plonker here, but Mrs has an aunt who lives in Vancouver. We went to see them before we had kids.went to Whistler, went to Vancouver Island and camped

it was ok but I wouldnt take the famiy there. This wildlife you mention, it takes the form of BEARS and you are advised to hoist your food 20 foot up a tree with a rope so they DON’T KILL YOU :scream:

I remember Whistler being nice in the summer, but a lot like Alpe de Huez which is a lot more affordable to get to. Edit: and way less ursine frission.

If we are taking North American mountain holidays, then what about Hawaii big Island. Swim with turtles one day, up Mauna Loa the next. If you delay the holiday to October, might even get to watch a bit of Tri. Probably madly expensive now though.

Have now recommended every mountainous warm place in the world I know, sorry but you did ask, and will now shut up.

6 Likes

Mcleod Ganj was super nice, and very, very cheap, So maybe worth a consideration, no bears, but I did get bed bugs which weren’t so nice - maybe spend more than a quid on your bed? Pretty warm still in the summer, even on up to 4000m on the (easy) hike it was warm enough.

1 Like

where’s that?

Bugger, there’s Málaga too. Cheery beach holiday with Granada and the gateway to 3000+ m mountains an hour away

1 Like

India, western himalayas, Dalai Lama lives there some of the time - if you book a few months in advance you can meet him.

1 Like

Was that 3k for the three of you?

I reckon I probably spent £450 doing over 2 thousand miles driving on our trip. That plus the crossing which I think was around £250

3 Likes

Yep, and insisting on direct etc. there were lots of cheaper options via US airports, so it could be cheaper, but flights are certainly getting more expensive

2 Likes

The whole place was very expensive, the food was pretty poor as well, especially for the cost. Some of the motels I stayed at were pretty poor quality.

Having said that I really want to go back for a longer period and see more of that area with the national parks and California.

4 Likes