How to be an 'eco' triathlete

Well we’re one up on the “house cleaning every second day” at least.

One washing machine load per week? That’ll kill of any family triathletes.

@GRamsay
Personally I dont think you do have to go from nothing to super eco warrior to help. Every little really does count, and a generally less wasteful lifestyle will trend the right way.

The problem being that the other buggers are waiting for you. As said the little things add up, but even IF you might not have much impact on the global scale, you rub off on one other person. Once enough peoples attitudes change and we support sustainable lifestyles then theres pressure on corporations to adapt, and government policy changes to reflect the peoples wishes.

1 Like

We used to use that argument in Oz, considering how little emission we produced on the global scale but attitudes have changed a bit.

The main problem is whenever this stuff comes up, it’s always the usual suspects doing the right thing and the same old countries that just DGAF.

images

2 Likes

Triathlete in self centred shocker :smiley:

5 Likes

Yes, but wasn’t there some crazy statistics on streaming of Blue Planet 2 in China, something like most watched show and created huge discussions on their social media. Millions of people were shocked as they had no idea previously.

I guess we’ll find out in a couple of years. I make my living by dealing with companies from that region. The disregard is alarming.

I know it’s a generalisation but i’ve just let the new waste disposal contract for my work. One of the biggest barriers to the improvement in our recycling rates centres around the residential buildings. Especially for the international students, mainly from SE Asia. They’re just not culturally attuned to see it as a priority/problem compared to the Western Europeans that are beginning their studies.

We can put in all the infrastructure we like, but it’s the educational piece that is the most difficult. Almost every student in the halls will buy a new rice cooker at the start of term. That’s despite many accommodations having shared kitchens betwee 6-12 students. All of those will then go to the bin at the end of term (though we try to recover and recycle) ready for the next year’s cohorts … who won’t use the last years ones, even if offered for free.

5 Likes

They eat dogs too !
Hang em all!

I think, if they don’t, a lice cooker each.

You go first Graham :sweat_smile:

Haha; is it absorbent enough?

Fair one Ed! But having seen into the world of Audax, I can only assume it’s predominantly singletons, divorcees and blokes who still live with Mum :rofl:

Isn’t a saucepan a rice cooker? :thinking::blush:

1 Like

Probably best not to mention eating dog (mong mong) in our house. :shushing_face::laughing:

Rice cookers are bloody brilliant, we’ve had ours for over 10 years, it’s one of the last appliances we have that still has an Aussie plug. Cuckoo brand is the bomb. :+1:

1 Like

As someone married to an environmental scientist, we do try to be better with our environmental credentials. Mostly this reads like stereotypical Guardian readers I think

The good bits -
I’ve not flown for about 5 years. Try to use train / car for journeys to the continent.
Have an electric car.
Have a cargo bike for the school run - thinking about changing it for an e-bike as it is a bit heavy for my wife so doesn’t get used as much as it should (it weighs 50kg)
Try to reduce food miles as much as possible (local farm shop with butcher on site for fruit / veg / meat / eggs, milk delivered, bake our own bread)
Try to buy in bulk and then transfer to glass jars / containers. Plus refill detergent
Split washing into heavy soiled / light soiled and wash differently (only detergent in heavy soil)
Try to compost / worm bin all food waste
Try to reuse single use plastics - bags / bottles etc

The bad -
My wife still has conferences in the US / Canada so will fly there - these are rare though
Second car is diesel although mostly just used for longer journeys
Oil heating for the house
I really don’t like the solid shampoos and use bottled shampoo still

The hypocritical -
Have a third child on the way. 3 children is pretty poor for the environment…

As an aside, when I met my wife she was finishing her PhD. She was embarrassed for me to pick her up from uni in case anyone saw my car, not due to it being crappy but due to its fuel consumption - I had an M3. So I have changed a bit in the last 10 years.

5 Likes

To get back on topic a little. A running friend at work was telling me about some races that have water sachets in potato starch packing. I’d never heard of that?

Steel bikes and luggage out of the 70s … all pretty eco no ?

2 Likes

As a Triathlete:
Even though I do lots of events, I have only ever flown to one triathlon (Elsinore). I mainly use the train (Hamburg was a bit of a trek)

I cycle to work on average twice per week. An opportunity to go somewhere by bike or by foot is an opportunity to build my base

I hardly ever buy new casual clothes, due to the amount of time I spend in sports clothes

Non triathlon related
Holidays are mainly camping trips

Very rarely travel on business, most is now done using video conference facilities

try to avoid any products with palm oil

By local fruit and veg where possible… Spain and Italy is local

No longer buy bottled water

1 Like

I already do - mental block and shallow breathing problem which stops me swimming any more.

The Royal Parks Half, that I’m running on Sunday are giving out wooden medals, although in a twist of fate, I received an e-mail yesterday that they are waiting to see what happens with the extinction rebellion protests in town. Looks like there’s a chance they might have to cancel.

Bit of a debate kicked off locally re a Parkrun where residents were complaining about the traffic and inconsiderate parking at one venue.
Overall I think Parkrun has done a lot of good but I’ve always had doubts about the number of people who get in cars, drive 5 miles causing pollution, congestion, parking problems etc to do a 5km then drive home again, for something can that be done from your own doorstep.

4 Likes