How to prevent smelly helmet?

Get your minds out of the gutter!

I am naturally a sweater and my Giro Aerohead Ultimate is drenched after even only a 10 mile TT. I’m not noticing it when I ride, only after I remove it. I’m wondering the best way to keep it smelling fresh?

On a similar note my Velotoze are also drenched, though not so concerned about these, but if they’re in that state, probably need to pay more attention to the shoes?

It’ll be the pads inside the helmet.

They’re normally held in by velcro strips. Simply give them a rinse in hot soapy water. I did this to my commuting helmet a while back. Was appalled of the colour of the water after.

Mine were so bad that when it rained it stung my eyes :flushed:

Failing that you can just buy a new set of pads. Your lid will feel fresh after :ok_hand:t2:

1 Like

Have to hose out my shoes after every IM.

It’s the pee isn’t it.

1 Like

Velotoze aren’t breathable at all also!

Bet your shoes are rank after using them

Swim cap.

You’re welcome.

2 Likes

Soapy water for his smelly helmet :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

I’m concerned that could result in over-heating, I guess there’s only one way to find out…

1 Like

I guess I was looking for recommendations for a quick freshen up (spray?) after every ride. I certainly don’t want the faff of washing after every ride. I put the pads from my old helmet through the wash (washing machine) and it did mess them up a bit.

Vodka diluted in a spray bottle.

It’s an old costume trick for stuff that can’t be easily washed

I use it on my Deadpool suit

1 Like

Slightly concerned about being pulled over by the police stinking of vodka! :joy:

Quick rinse off in water then? Or a wet wipe?