IM Wales 2022

Entries have just opened up for next year.

Title changed :+1:t3:

1 Like

I’m surprised there any spots at all?

Tier 4 only available, £524 plus Active …climbing towards £600 sorry folks can’t justify that at present

7 Likes

That is my view for Bolton, £556 with the Active fee is just too much

4 Likes

was going to enter then so the £524 plus admin fee and thought no its getting silly and with the world still recovering from the pandemic there is still a very very small chance of distruption or restrictions along the way

3 Likes

That’s crazy money.

If you were to make up a £/satisfaction scale the Royal Marines Iron Challenge you did is much better value.

2 Likes

It’s gone up a bit. I think 2018 was something like £412 all in?

When I went to the IM UK registration page it was on tier 4 at £489, which was :scream:. But I figured I would suck it up but then when through to the next page it was tier 5 £509 price. That just annoyed me and so will do Outlaw instead.

3 Likes

That’s exactly where I am in the scheme of things Mr Hamer. All being well I will go back to Blackpool Sands the following week.

4 Likes

Sold out!

1 Like

600 notes for an Ironman is an absolute piss take.

My first road bike cost less than that.

2 Likes

It is getting out of hand. They give you less these days as well. I remember early IM’s - food at the briefing, food at the roll down/awards, decent food in the tent post race, t shirts were decent polo necks.

Even the rucksacks are getting flimsier - and they weren’t great to start with. I bet any of the ‘Covid measures’ that happen to be cheaper will carry on indefinitely.

Having said that, I’d still pay it for IM Wales, it’s a truly magical race.

3 Likes

I wanted to finish the long distance stuff with Wales last year. Sold out before I even realised entries were open and Covid struck so the race was cancelled. Think there was a small window for limited entries at the beginning of this year and just missed out, but again the race was cancelled. I did Outlaw instead. Great event, and half the price. I was briefly tempted to enter Wales, but Outlaw was and will be my last full distance. The price also made it an easy choice - ha ha.

2 Likes

The prices are mad, but I guess if they sell out, it’s simple supply and demand. Although IM are playing a risky game in using the current demand from newbies to line their pockets, and risking alienating the “repeat customers”. It’s a big jump though. Wales was £506 when I originally entered for 2020 in September 2019.

Having said that, I was pretty surprised by IM Mallorca. It only cost me €338. The 70.3 there that I did in 2018 was €297, so no idea why it was so cheap when I registered. It does have a random phrasing of “back in the race” on my active receipt, so not sure if it’s something to do with the fact I had an IM Spain voucher, or if I just got lucky and registered in a window where they had some kind of “Covid sale” on. It does mean I still have c€200 left on my voucher though, so will likely do a 70.3 next year or the year after too.

1 Like

It is a lot but unless you’ve been, it is bloody hard to describe just how good Wales is. Can’t say it’s good value but probably better than a load of the ‘just add water’ ones.

Looks like it’s sold out, got a big contingent of our club going so we’ve booked some accommodation to go down and support everyone.

1 Like

I don’t disagree with the fact that it is a special race. If you are a UK athlete then it is value compared to other European events without a flight or road trip involved. Time committed is minimal …Drive In …race …Drive out and as for the atmosphere and difficulty its is on the podium. That being said I haven’t done loads of IM’s

If a place can be secured for under 500 then it makes it far more justifiable …still hefty but a little red wine would make the decision easy!

4 Likes