IM WC ('2021') May 2022 St George Utah

We’ve had some great trips on the back of races. Get to the location two days before event and book a week or so afterwards. Alternatively use the race long weekend to see if we like the place and return for a trip afterwards.

I’ll never KQ but given the opportunity would take the loyalty route in, only for Kona though, it’s where I first found out about tri thanks to Transworld Sport on Ch4 back in the very old days. Be a few years for that though thanks firstly to covid, we also have to take into account my ability to finish races in consecutive years of course!

9 Likes

we were there 13 odd years ago or whatever, but no chance could the town take more people in my opinion, it didn’t really have the infrastructure for the numbers there then, let alone doubling. I guess you could bring people in from other places easier, (putting on coaches etc.), but even then the nearby towns are not really touristy and don’t really have much to offer outside of the race - and the roads of course have the race on it which make getting around more complicated on race days.

5 Likes

Terrible swim at 52mins :smile:

3 Likes

‘next racing is IM Cairns’

Checks age group. Damn. :joy:

9 Likes

Agree. I was there in 2011 and the town was packed and there were only about 1400 racing.

Once you add in people coming to support and all those racing, people might be staying on the other side of the island.

I can’t see how kona can support 2 races a day apart.

They could do 2 races 2 weeks apart so some have left.

But I think it would just be better to make kona a normal Ironman and move the actual world championships around

4 Likes

Are people really that dull?
Or is the interview just terrible?

That article was :sleeping::sleeping_bed:

“What shoes do you wear?”
Alphas.

(Gee, thanks for that amazing insight. Image shows you in old 4% or some Custom Nikes, though. Deffo not Alphas)

It’s Herbert Krabel doing the interview, what do you expect? He’s a fucking tool, incredibly arrogant, German and pre-disposed to react badly to any form of criticism.

He’s sidestepped all the questions about ‘what does this guy do for a living’? I’m also intrigued as to how he can spend that much time continually in the US because that’s beyond what an ESTA entry typically allows.

Krabel is also the ‘journalist’ that asked a female pro if they’d considered an abortion a few years back.

2 Likes

I read the article this morning… questions that came to my mind, what does this guy do for a job, he’s not young, not pro, trains 30 hours a week, spends most of his time in US while training, has a top coach…

and the really big elephant in the room, is he as good as a pro? and the answer is no, he would have been 21st out of 27 pros. And that includes pros like Jan Van Berkel, who is a full time lawyer

I know that this may sound a bit like the Pot calling the kettle black, however, I am back in a full time job, I don’t have a coach, and don’t travel to train (Maybe I am just jealous)

1 Like

But it’s all levels I guess isn’t it. This guy has more time than someone in a regular job, you have more time than someone with a full time job and kids at home. Somebody else has X and somebody else has Y.

I just think the title of the article was a bit click baity. Krabel gets bent out of shape when he feigns ‘surprise’ about his own performance and gets called out on it. He’s a good runner but he’s not backwards in coming forwards telling anyone who will listen about it.

Maybe I should get a medal for winning the spine operations with full time job and kids being over 50’ category? :joy:

2 Likes

It looks like he was a teacher.
And has managed to get some sponsorship, friends & family, plus savings to go chasing his dream.
That’s from his Facebook and a cursory Google.

1 Like

I’m guessing that the guy is living off his parents and is aspiring to turn pro.

If he’s already training pro hours as an AGer, I would have thought he’d expect to be putting in pro level performances already.

Where does it say that he does most of his training in the US? I read it that he’d spent some time in the US on some sort of a surf life guard exchange but now he trains in NZ and Australia. Kiwis can live in Aus without worrying about a visa, i think.

I don’t think it says he spends most of his time in the US but looking the time in St G and then Hawaii, he’s spending a fair old chunk and more than usually gets stamped on entry vi an ESTA.

The Kiwi in Oz thing is a bit complex. They can have kind of residency but they are ‘at risk’ and for them to become an Oz citizen isn’t smooth.

Oz citizens get many more instant rights going to NZ than Kiwis coming the other way. We can jump on a plane tomorrow to NZ and become perm residents the minute we enter. It’s a weird dynamic.

1 Like

Ah OK. My BiL moved to Australia on his NZ passport and served in the Aussie army. I don’t know whether he actually applied for Australian citizenship, but I think the army was “encouraging” foreigners to do so.

My in-laws lived in Queensland for a couple of years too, again on the back of my FiL’s NZ passport.

1 Like

It’s one of those quirky things that if you moved before X date, Y rules apply etc. Oz immigration rules change with the weather!

1 Like

There is a lot more brand sponsorship for a winning age grouper than a mid/lower level pro regardless of relative performance.

But yes saw the same article he was a teacher until recently.

1 Like

Pretty much a part time job innit, 9 - 3:30 for what, 18 weeks a year? :rofl:

5 Likes