IMWC Nice 2023

Anyone else get this from Ironman today?

Dear Athlete,

Congratulations on your finish at 2022IRONMAN Wales!

We are pleased to announce that we have extended the slot allocation process for IRONMAN Wales and will now be offering additional male slots for the 2023 VinFast IRONMAN World Championship in Nice, France on September 10, 2023. Please note that the number of additional slots are limited and every age group is not guaranteed a slot.

Athletes who earn a slot will receive an email with a link from ACTIVE to register for the 2023 VinFast IRONMAN World Championship in Nice, France. Athletes will have 48 hours to redeem their registration link. If an athlete does not accept the slot within 48 hours, it will roll down to the next eligible finisher within the age group.

They’ve offered me a slot but I’ll not be taking it as my main focus this year will be Copenhagen which is just a few weeks before this.
I have got half an eye on trying to qualify for Nice when the men’s race returns there in 2025.
The email Seemed to have a bit of the St George flavour about it - perhaps they’re already worrying about filling the available slots?

List item

8 Likes

Wonder if I can ask them for a slot for finishing IM California :thinking:

I’m guessing because it was a US race it might not count.

I do wonder about rolldowns this year, Bolton has a biggish field for now as some people see it as a good race to qualify for Kona.

And Nice has 200 slots!

2 Likes

Someone on ST got the same email after racing IM Wisconsin, so don’t think the US race should be a barrier

2 Likes

I’ll keep checking my inbox :joy:

Wondering if it’s where people accepted their spot thinking they were going to Kona and have opted to defer until 2024?

1 Like

That would be my guess. Either Americans not wanting to travel to Europe or qualifiers that want Kona not a WC.

1 Like

I might email them :joy:

6 Likes

Do it Jeff, also mention my slow walk around Holme Pierrepont in case they really are struggling :joy:

But seriously, email them!

7 Likes

I won’t hold my breath with my shite bike/run and 75th place M35 finish :rofl:

5 Likes

I’ve looked and was 25th so not hitting F5 that often! Quite annoying about my toilet problems as I could have easily been another 5-6 places higher quite easily from what I remember.

For some reason I think it rolled to about 10th.

2 Likes

Not sure 55th will cut it either! And I’ve basically not run since then either. Finally managed to sort out getting back to see a physio from next week. My shoulder and achilles are screwed, and I really need to try and properly sort them out.

Surprising they’re already having to do this. It does undermine the need to make the change away form the old single day of Kona.

4 Likes

Yikes, currently wearing out my F5 key!

I can’t see it rolling to 25th though :frowning:

Dear Athlete,

Congratulations on your finish at 2022 IRONMAN California!

We are pleased to announce that we have extended the slot allocation process for IRONMAN California and will now be offering additional male slots for the 2023 VinFast IRONMAN World Championship in Nice, France on September 10, 2023. Please note that the number of additional slots are limited and every age group is not guaranteed a slot.

10 Likes

I think they’re struggling for attendance:

Congratulations on your finish at 2022IRONMAN Portugal-Cascais!

We are pleased to announce that we have extended the slot allocation process for IRONMAN Portugal-Cascais and will now be offering additional male slots for the 2023 VinFast IRONMAN World Championship in Nice, France on September 10, 2023.

7 Likes

Had the same for Wales but I obviously had zero chance

25th isn’t too bad Jeff, you never know?!

3 Likes

Would you take it though?

Pro: may be only chance to race at a WC

Con: may come last by hours

Pro: may be only WC in Europe

Con: don’t feel like have earned it

It won’t roll down to me but the thought experiment is fun.

3 Likes

For my performance in Wales, no, I wouldn’t - didn’t deserve etc…

1 Like

Only possible thing in my favour would be the fact I’m in Europe, although I’m guessing most of the ones ahead of me in M50 probably wouldn’t struggle to find the money, bigger issue might be if they’ve got other races entered, life events or can get the time off from work.

I had been considering a go at either Nice or Bolton for qualification but lack of recent training meant I’m too far behind.

Would I take it, almost certainly. I’d hopefully not finish last assuming no problems and doing some actual training.

Can’t decided if I’d think I’d earned, sometimes slots roll a long way, and I wasn’t far off top 20 if I hadn’t wasted time in transition and toilet problems on the bike!

Anyway, not getting my hopes up.

3 Likes

I suspect, on balance and assuming I had the cash I would. Just for the kudos from non-triathletes :smiley:

4 Likes

Struggling you say???

Congratulations on your attempt at finishing 2021 IRONMAN Bolton!
We are pleased to announce that we have extended the slot allocation process for IRONMAN Bolton and will now be offering additional male slots for the 2023 VinFast IRONMAN World Championship in Nice, France on September 10, 2023.

:joy::joy::joy:

10 Likes

Bliney

1 Like

I did a sprint Tri in 2005 - do you think it’ll roll down to me?
:rofl:

11 Likes