Ineos 1:59 Attempt - Breaking2 Kipchoge

yep, Bannister’s pace makers had to toe the start line, finish the race and be seen to be racing…

It was broken within weeks, but then i believe the record stood for a couple of years…but in the meantime, several others went under 4

Bannister’s 4 minute mile is one of those things where the story has taken on a life of its own. Even then I don’t think the mile was THAT common of an event. People had been running 4:00 mile pace in the 1,500 m for 10 years previous (3:43) so I think the stories that people thought if you ran a 4:00 mile you would explode are likely slightly exaggerated.

1 Like

The dog walking community in Battersea Park won’t be happy - they kicked-off enough about the Formula e closing the park for a few days:wink:.

That was largely the noise (yes, even with E cars!), infrastructure, traffic, etc. A bit of fencing would probably be ok.

The problem is they need a “window” for optimal weather. So you’d have to close roads for maybe 1-2 weeks if the weather takes it’s time to play ball. I can’t see anywhere in the city that doing that would be feasible.

1 Like

What about Holme Pierrepoint? Ticks all the boxes yeah.

They can soak up the support.

1 Like

Let it go, Elsa.

(Just looking back at my results, I raced there again after my last Outlaw. Once twice around the running, sorry rowing, lake)

Why on earth would you do that?

I ran Eton Dorney half mara - 4 laps around the rowing lake - specifically time chasing. It was the most horrible run i’ve ever done (compunded by the fact i had severe D&V the weekend before and was clearly still recovering from, but persisted in blindly going for my ‘A’ target and then dying ignominously after about 8km!!!)

1 Like