Intervals.icu

Was going to put this in the Training Peaks thread but actually probably deserves a thread of its own, people not using TP might be interested. Someone in my Tri club put me on to this.

It basically does pretty much what TP premium does. Except, its free, and there are no ads. You connect to Strava and it pulls in all your workouts, creates graphs like the PMC etc.

Wonder if they are trying to hook people in and then start charging. Someone has put some decent effort into this. You dont knock up software like that in a couple of days.

7 Likes

You’ve got to think that there must be some long term aim to monetise it, so get a user base by offering it free and then start charging once it’s established.

Intriguing. It’s like a combination of Training Peaks, Elevate plugin for strava, runalyze, Trainerroad, etc.

There’s some things it shows as reported, such as W’bal, that I’m not sure any of the above report as standard. Maybe on WKO?

good to see some competition… i’ve thought for a long while that Training Peaks have sat on their laurels… pretty much zero feature improvement in the last 2 years.

1 Like

Absolutely! They’ve stagnated for years. Really basic bugs like if you add an activity in app for strength it deletes the title until you paste it in a second time was present for well over a year or if you have run power it defaults to using that for TSS and you can’t set it to use pace or HR based TSS without manually changing it for every activity. I had run power in my garmin for history but didn’t want to use it for TSS tracking.

I frequently emailed TP about things like this and all I ever got was put it in the suggestion scheme and it would just sit there never having anything done. Then they’d jump up and down about new features like being able to add a note on the calendar like they’ve revolutionised training…

I really wish someone would come along and just do all the basic stuff and they’d destroy TP. It’s so annoying that strava focus on useless features where as much better would have a simple calendar you just put planned workouts in like TP and a few interactive graphs like run distance over time. This Would have me off TP and on strava premium overnight as it would be one less service to manage

3 Likes

yep, my pet frustration is that there is a bar chart I find really useful that shows peak power over different time periods, over time, and it only exists on the web version, and has never been ported to the app, where the number of graphs on offer is rubbish… There are quite a few like that… and the UI for the web version on a tablet is virtually unusable. Its pretty poor for the market leading app. As you say, they’ll regret it eventually, as instead of cementing their position and making it pointless anyone challenging them, someone will come along and wipe them out. Perhaps these guys.

:star_struck: Had a look round this morning. Very impressed :star_struck:

1 Like

Going to give it a try but, it says “Already and Intervals.icu user?, click here”
But no indication as to what you do if your not already a user. Is there a register/login elsewhere, or do you just connect to Strava regardless?

I think something was lost in translation on that bit. You click on it connect your Strava and you’re in.

1 Like

Yeah got it cheers!

Jesus Christ. I love numbers but that’s a lot of analysis. No idea where to start… looks great though. :+1:

1 Like

That wasn’t the original plan! Intervals.icu really is just an itch scratching pet project that started to get popular so I put more effort into it. It costs a bit to run now (time and cash) so I likely will do a premium version at some point … probably to see more than a certain amount of history or something.

I need to separate out from Strava first. They have stopped granting rate limit requests which caps the number of users Intervals.icu can have.

15 Likes

Keep it up David… Its got real potential!

Hope this works out for you! :+1:

Hi, that’s one hell of a pet project. I’ve worked in IT dev for 20 years so I know good software when I see it. Well done.

If I were the dev manager at Training Peaks I’d be banging your door down.

3 Likes

Tx. I have a busy day job so definitely not in the market!

2 Likes

Finally spent a bit of time playing around with this to understand what it can and can’t do a bit better… seriously… this is WAY WAY WAY better than TrainingPeaks!

The workout builder in particular, is fantastic… really easy to use, and you can build some great workouts with so much less trouble than in TP.

3 Likes

Interesting to hear. Probably worth more of a play. There seemed some useful stuff, but equally I was confused by some of the automated interval creations. Especially in sessions where I had actually done set intervals. It wasn’t picking them out correctly at all, and I couldn’t immediately see how you could amend and create manual intervals like you can in TP.

But even so, there was very clearly a whole lot to it that was really useful. The only issue I have is that my strava account is not 100% perfect in terms of my longer term training log.

As an example, write the following text into the description of a workout and it automatically creates the workout file… that you can then export to Garmin or Zwift for example.

Warmup

• 20m at 50% FTP

Main set x4

• 5m at 80% FTP
  • 30s at 120% FTP
  • 30s at 90% HR

Cooldown

• 10m at 50% FTP

And that’s it.

You can add ramps, as many main stages as you like etc…want another repeat?.. just change x4 to x5 and you’re done.

I really like that simplicity.

1 Like

not actually looked at the strava file when you’ve done a workout yet… will explore further.

You can select to use your device laps as the intervals, or fairly easily drag the interval slider along to make the interval start/stop where you want. For cycling I’m yet to find a serious fault compared to others, if you have a power meter. Missing quite a bit on running though as no pace based metrics.

1 Like