Iron Cowboy - 50.50.50

Netflix documentary on the Iron Cowboy doing 50 iron distance events in 50 states in 50 days.

Has anybody else watched it and have any thoughts?

Yeah the other day. I don’t know how accurate it is, but the flaws uncovered on ST/FB were addressed - essentially they saying they didn’t know what they were doing and put it right when they were criticised. I’d believe it but for the fact they had a pro camera crew with them throughout, I think they could easily have avoided the charity/elliptical/treadmill/doping furore.

I skipped through a lot of it, but it’s a good enough show about the suffering of ultra endurance sports and how much the support crew is critical to the whole endeavour.

I don’t have an issue with the way he approached it. It was hugely ambitious given the logistics and even if you don’t hold he stuck to the spirit of his own rules he still achieved a mammoth achievement. The documentary itself is decent and shows the journey warts and all (including the infusion and the elliptical).

I probably would’ve had an issue with it before the event, or if I’d have followed it live.
But watching afterwards, I understood why he felt the need to do it.

He was loose with the times (sometimes spanning over a day for an IM), and the “rules”

But he still did something remarkable.

I believe the crew are generally there to document proceedings and not to interfere

I enjoyed seeing the logistics aspect and his willing wife and children. It’s worth 75 minutes whilst on the trainer

I should probably make my wife watch this, so she actually knows what a self-engrossed triathlete really looks like :smile:

4 Likes