"Ironman Distance World Record"

Ah gotcha. So they’re just looking to cash-in on mugs with egos. Ironic in this case :sweat_smile:

1 Like

My own indoor Ironman GWR was broken recently: Stevenage athlete Simon Jackson smashes eight-year-old Guinness World Record | The Comet

I’m in favour of a challenge to the guinness monopoly, but the records have to be legit…

My other record was still listed on the long distance running records where whoever runs the site (I can’t remember, and sadly a quick search hasn’t found the site) used to do due diligence before allowing records…

2 Likes

Have you checked out the Official World Record website. It’s not exactly professional.

yes, just looked. It won’t get traction if the records are spurious - irrespective of how poor the site is…

But Guinness, although relatively easy to work with, are very expensive if you want a representative to invigilate (which helps with bookings and publicity)…

https://www.recordholders.org/en/list/treadmill.html

2 Likes

Just watched the video doing tour de zwift. Better than chasing pixels. If he got a pound for everytime he mentioned p-company he would have made a fortune for charity. He didnt do a double, but back to back. Swim in autumn/early winter in a cold river at about 2am after doing an Ironman already. Stupid or respect, probably bit of both. @explorerJC will know more but listening at his timelines he did p-company at 29yrs old. Sounds like he did 3 years before “retiring”. Isnt 29 at the old end of joining? I suppose that’s generally around the years of peak fitness for an elite athlete though

2 Likes

Only Paras do P Coy at the start of their time; everyone else applies after getting some experience under their belt. Same with All Arms Commando course and SF Selection; you join, do some time then apply.

I think this guy did 7 years total; 4 years then P Coy, then became a PTI. Looks like he was Royal Engineers I think; I only skipped through it. 7 years is quite a short career; obviously realised he was wasted in the Army, and was destined to be a multi millionaire :sweat_smile:. Tbh, I think I’d take much of what he says with a pinch.

5 Likes

Yep, there are pros and cons to doing P Company at 29…you should have developed more endurance which will help with the tabbing but you may be on your way out with the speed - and boy, the course is fast (or was)…

I knew a Staffy who did it aged 40 and he was shot to bits (ex all arms commando)

Edited to add that I was 22 iirc - a long time ago…

2 Likes

If he is a Walt, 9 Sqn will find him quickly…

There was a time when there was a long waiting list - several years, so if he is/was engineers then they either needed his trade or he talked his way onto the course…

1 Like

If you check the other videos on his Channel it goes through P Coy, and an awful lot of other stuff you will probably want to pass on :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Definitely didnt come across as a Walt. Just a bit full on and the ex forces I know don’t generally bang on about it unless asked.

His mate said 10 sqn.
Apparently he “retired” just before Afghan deployment and his mate took his role on

i’ll pass on all of it, thanks…

Well, if you don’t want to give-up your £60k 9-5 job and become a property tycoon, that’s your prerogative. You don’t even need to use your own money y’know…

1 Like

well thanks lucky, coz there’s none of that left…

:sweat_smile:

It’s hard not to pick at it. What is the kit he’s wearing? Hardly matches the bike, car, drone etc.

Sign me up, I’m gonna subscribe :rofl:

I was watching one of these fly on the wall things the other week and the pre acceptance weekend you have to run a mile and half in sub 10 minutes. You have to be pretty fit before you even start!

It used to be 9:30 in boots…and in reality it was sub 9…I was running 8:15 back then and was nowhere near the front…

We ran one every morning before the training started…and you were supposed to beat your previous time - which was impossible - skive to survive…

2 Likes

Until recently you had to be able to do the 1.5 miles in sub 8:15 from Civvy street to get accepted into the Paras; amongst other stuff. Not sure what it is atm, as they have moved to a 2km run iirc.

In recruit selection I think I ran 7:50, but that was a long time ago.

3 Likes

How much do you think extreme fitness factors into the work these units actually have to do (as opposed to the training and entry criteria)?