Ironman Lanzarote 2021

Jorgan forget Hamburg the real smack down is Lanza 2020 level playing field it suits no one!

1 Like

What’s level about me taking you to school? :crazy_face:

Joking aside, the early season date and the pressure to make it a family trip rather than go solo is what has stopped me in the past. That said we went to Lanza last summer, and I don’t think my wife is bothered about ever going back! Generally I like to go Long in July for convenience.

So are we going to start a list of competitors Ironman Lanzarote?

Can’t do tables so quote the post and add your name to the list. I am definitely in, just waiting for pay day to make it official.

• iwaters
  • iwaters
  • GeorgeA

Out of interest, what is the “early bird” entry fee for next year’s race? (asking for a friend :smiley: )

03.06-03.07.2019: 499 €
04.06-31.12.2019: 549 €
01.01-01.05.2020: 599 €

No payment plan at Lanza

1 Like

:disappointed_relieved:

:joy:

I realise this is slightly off topic but has anyone ever done the 70.3 in early October?

I guess numerically-Tiered pricing wouldn’t work so well here as it’s way slower to fill (if at all), so they hit you with €50 chunks by date. That’s a bigger price jump than most events too. Trying to get you in early.

I think the 70.3 is going to be very different from previous years this time around.

The previous races have all been centred around Club La Santa, with the swim in the lagoon. The original bike course took in the long Tabayesco climb, but the last couple of races ran over easier routes because of restrictions on which roads they could close when the police were only allowing them to use roads that were closed in both directions.

This year they’re basing the race on the western side of the island at Playa Blanca. I haven’t seen the route, but the bike guides at CLS mentioned that it takes in the Femes climg and Timanfaya, so a reasonably challenging route.

Yep completely new course. The Femes climb is an arse. Steepest climb on the island I think, and bizarrely now closed to cyclists, except when the 70.3 is on. Looks better than the awful course they surprised on every one a year or so ago.

The bike goes the easy way over Femes. From the Uga/Yaiza side.

When did they close it? I rode up it both ways just last year.

Recently, was open last year in March, but this year when we went for camp it was closed. Tabeysco has been closed for a bit because of landslides as well.

bummer

Tabeyesco is “officially” closed, but is rideable if you don’t mind getting off and climbing over the concrete blocks that they’ve blocked the road with. It looked like there was some sort of road works going on, but nobody doing anything on the Monday morning that I rode it.

The new road from Arietta to Haria is pretty good - nice smooth tarmac and probably a bit steeper than the Tabeyesco road, but it comes into Haria from the other side so you get a little breather before you climb the switchbacks.

1 Like

That’s a bit of a bummer for playa blanca as a base. Leaves only the one way in/out of the area from what I recall? Unless you are allowed far enough up to take the turn off to Las Brenas?

How exactly have they “closed it” to cyclists out of interest?

English is terrible but information here:

Effectively its warning signs prohibiting bikes up there. You see a fair bit of policia out there so guess you are likely to be caught and will be in for a hefty fine, and/or chased by an angry local. Video and complaint here:
http://www.lancelotdigital.com/lanzarote/quejas-por-las-colas-de-ciclistas

So yes effectively the LZ-2 / service road is the only way in and out of PB. The service road in to PB is a great laugh though. Last year I got up to about 60kmh on the flat with the wind behind me.

It does seem to me that the Island is become a little less tolerant of cyclists. I noticed this year a few more beeps than previous years. I have also heard a few rumours of various things. Such as locals not being happy with Club La Santa as its own enclave and was taking a lot out of the local area and not giving anything back. There were rumours that IM next year wouldn’t happen. There were complaints last year of the IM road closures (assume the same this year?).