Ironman Sold

there needs to be a better series , screw IM. Brett Sutton had some reasonable ideas a few years back but hes not a man to lead these things. a base of 5 or 6 races and a world champs, pros paid to be part of the series via very deep prize money (like golf or tennis), AG’ers also treated better and ALL monies in profit ploughed back into prize funds. there was even talk of AG’ers a ballot of finishers for a prize fund so you had a chance to win your entry fee back and things. It’s getting sponsorship backing and a TV package where it could all fall down. An hour long highlights show like the old IM shows would be great though

It does happen, few have been lower than Wolves over the years but we’re (were) in a bit of a purple patch at the moment.

Indeed, I worked there when they only had the John ‘would have been near if it had been built in Ireland’ stand and home end open

1 Like

Looks like they’ll take the sport even more mass participation and away from competition. I’d much much rather race the local/different/fun events than join the IM corporation, its my least favourite thing about tri that there is a for-profit company that can dominate so much.

BUT, I do want a form of world championships, or series that draws the best in to race other. And unless ITU can up their AG game I don’t have many other alternatives off the top of my head. The only reason I got drawn into adding in Staffs was the allure of Taupo, otherwise I’d have stuck with just Lakesman and Helvellyn.

2 Likes

I think that sounds really good and what the PTO should be aiming for, if they’re not already. It would be good to mix up the distances a bit too so you have some shorter as well as ironman distances.

1 Like

IM will be doubly gutted if Kona doesn’t happen this year.

Frodo has just signed with Hoka. So if he put in a performance like last year they could’ve salivated and obsessed over shots of his shoes the entire race rather than what was actually going on elsewhere! :joy: :joy:

4 Likes

They just need to get him a ventum bike deal now

2 Likes

I could be wrong, but I think IM is probably at the end of the sporting spectrum where they would be paying to produce the TV programme and then hoping that a TV company will air it for them so that they can get exposure for their sponsors. I’m not sure that anyone would be paying them for TV rights.

Probably more likely that they’ll stream anything over the internet rather than relying on traditional channels

i didnt say they would be paid, it isn’t football! Without TV exposure you don’t get real “big” sponsors like in golf or tennis…hence where it would all fall down. They used to have Ford for Kona because it was aired on TV

I’m reckoning on a Pro only Kona, private jets in only, no crowds, no AG…

So M50-59 only then? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

FTFY