IRONMAN Vitoria-Gasteiz 2020

Depends on the bike box! If you’re not taking the whole family, then putting the back seats down means most cars will take one no bother.

That’s the benefit of big city IM events - loads of accommodation so no price inflation.

This event is looking unappealing not only for the domestic & race logistics, but also accommodation availability and associated costs.

Yeah, there just doesnt seem to be anything in the “mid range”. The only places I can find with availability are 5* places, the Marriot, etc. Oh, other than the Holiday Inn Express which is just a bit far out of the city centre. Everything else is into the thousands for 4 days

S0d that. My 5 nights in the Hamburg Crowne Plaza (B&B) was about £540.

The strange one is there’s a suite based place that offers 1 person suites for about €130 a night. Yet if you want 2 people to stay there, it goes up to €140pp/night. That just makes no sense. If that was allowing a second guest for a small incremental increase, that one wouldnt be too bad!

Sounds like the Nirvana pricing strategy :roll_eyes: (my room included Breakfast for 2!)

Just sign-up for Hamburg, they’re bound to change the bike course…again :sweat_smile:

The more I look, the more I wonder if it is just a case of looking too early. I just can’t see how there’s such limited stuff available. And when I go on direct websites and see next year calendars like the following, it implies to me that they’ve just not released July availability yet.

The problem is, I don’t want to enter and commit myself without knowing I have somewhere to stay. Maybe I book something cancellable that I can live with worst case, and then hope to find something better/cheaper later in the year!

I would just contact the hotels directly, email or phone. You’re probably right about having not released next July yet.

Yep, that makes sense. Get your google translate at the ready

I considered a late entry in this year but held off for two reasons. Hotel costs/availability and the transitions seemed somewhat of a ball ache on race morning.
Shame, course and support looks great.

The transitions don’t look too bad from what I can see. Unless I’m missing something, frequent shuttles are provided to the race start, in the same manner as Bolton etc? It’s only listed as a 10-15min shuttle duration

Probably just me, used to a close hotel and an easy wander to the start. Not done a split transition so might be over thinking it.

Split transition is okay, as long as the race organisation have their logistics sorted. In Roth, you just handed-in your run bag on Saturday in T1. They transported it to T2; obviously you had no subsequent access until the race!

Other races you’ve been expected to visit both transitions to deposit your bags (Frankfurt & IM Regensburg iirc)

ETA - any remotely decent race then transports your swim Bag to the finish/T2 for you to collect. I think every Split Transition race I’ve done, has done that.

1 Like

I’ve pressed the button

7 Likes

We are driving through Spain now; we went through Vitoria
Its not nearly as dramatic as San Sebastián area, but still nice
It would be a nice base for an event and you could do a coast trip afterwards
I am tempted
Any idea why there are no bike times at all in any of the 2019 results?
Seems universally absent

Just got the email saying this isn’t going ahead. Lovely of them to do that 3 days after the deadline for everyone to get 100% refunds through the official travel provider! Thankfully I ignored their email of 07/04/20 where they simply told me “This event will take place as scheduled” and I cancelled my accommodation anyway.

No news yet as to what our alternative options are. Apparently we get told in another months time by June 4th.

1 Like

I wonder if they’ll bother trying to arrange a new date for later this year? Doesn’t seem to make sense, Barca is in early October and presumably they’d want to avoid running them too close together. Not sure if the weather is suitable any later than that and September is too soon (as is any date this year tbh)

Either way, I’ll defer to next year. Paid for the hotel with loyalty points and not overly concerned about losing those if I can’t get them back

Yeah, I wrote similar on a different thread. With Barca already on the schedule, it seems unlikely they’d want to try and squeeze in two races.

I also had Wales planned. That’s got a higher likelihood of going ahead than many I’d have thought, especially being domestic (for me). So I would likely just take the 2021 option as well. I paid for my flight with BA avios, so hopefully I’ll get those back (although who knows if they’ll have any future value anyway!).

Weather wise, the San Sebastian marathon is early December. So maybe the weather could be reasonable through to early November time? Not sure. If it happened to be 8+ weeks after Wales, I might consider it.

So no update as promised

Dear Athlete,

We appreciate your continued patience while we have been assessing all scenarios around the postponement of the 2020 IRONMAN Vitoria-Gasteiz due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Our team has been working tirelessly with our various host city partners and authorities to secure a new date for the event and offer you the best possible opportunity to race in 2020. Due to a number of factors, we have not had the ability to make a final decision with respective stakeholders on a new event date at this time. We understand that updates on the status of the 2020 race is of utmost importance to you and we will continue to work as quickly and efficiently as possible to provide further information.

Our athlete services team remain at hand to assist and can be reached via email at vitoria@ironman.com.

Kind regards,

your IRONMAN Vitoria-Gasteiz Team

Interesting development I just read on fb is that apparently Vitoria’s license runs out this year. Hence why they haven’t just cancelled to 2021.

Not sure what they’ll do if they can’t reschedule this year and can’t host next year at all? Makes sense as to why they are taking as much time as they can to try and rearrange this year, and breaching their own deadlines for a decision