Ironman Wales 2019

Man with a plan…
Good forecast for weekend
Hope it goes well…

1 Like

Seriously concerned about the weather. Done this race 4 times, never seen anything like it. Unprecedented. It’ll be carnage.

3 Likes

That’s the thing that gets me with Ironman, the Saturday butterflies. I don’t get it with anything else, that feeling that I just want to get it done. I think it’s all the ‘investment’ of time & money you put into the Ironman basket, and the expectations you place on yourself to ‘deliver’ in respect of that investment. If it’s a non-branded UK Long Distance, the butterflies are commensurately less.

When I did a 400k Audax it was more than double what I’d ever ridden before, but the day before I was like “whatevva, let’s see what happens”…but it only cost me £12.50 and I’d not trained tirelessly for it!

3 Likes

Absolutely. It was the same with Roth for me this year. 7 months of work, but really 4 years of building towards it, and for the first time on the race day itself I delivered on my own modest abilities. I cried afterwards. It is a personal thing, and I felt I had done myself justice. It doesn’t matter to anyone else, but it mattered to me.

The day before is all about that nervous energy. Will you be able to deliver on your own personal hopes?

On the Sunday morning I always feel REALLY calm before the race.

1 Like

OMG, I hope you are all prepared for that heatwave :rofl:

Good luck everyone, anymore numbers to track, I’ve got a few friends doing it.

Jeff

For sure. I was trying to explain that to my gf and her sister on Saturday night at dinner. All my gf could say was “that just sounds like my worst nightmare. Why would you ever want to voluntarily put yourself through something that makes you feel like that”. But I think without those fears, and the nervous energy, you don’t get the same highs that then come with a good race.

Ultimately, I like the razzmatazz. It’s all the extra stuff that goes with it, including the heightened nerves, that make the training process (which I really enjoy) actually worthwhile. I’d argue I kind of enjoy training more than racing, but if I didn’t have that end goal, I wouldn’t have the spur to get the training done.

Anyway, good luck to all those racing this weekend. Looks a decent day for it!

4 Likes

I think there will likely be a race to T2 between Graves & McCrystal; Joe will then jog past them as they lie in the gutter on the run.

1 Like

Gotta love that forecast, they’re in for a great day!

It is glorious here in Tenby. Registration and race briefing done. Bags half packed, but think I need to buy a visor for the run as it really is very bright here and I burn, quickly!

No information on practice swim sessions, so may just skip that, and get an easy bike check in the morning and then do nothing for the rest of the day except chill and eat cake.

6 Likes

Are you sure you’re in the right place? :smile:

They did away with official swim practice last year mate. If you swim in the morning go early, the tide soon disappears after brekkie.

Good luck!

I just checked and you are right. High tide tomorrow is 7am.

Good luck Walesers. Looking like a bleddy perfect day for it.

Get out there and smash it!

6 Likes

Thank you @gingerbongo. Not the easiest to get to sleep last night, and was awake again at 3:50am, but that is all part of the Ironman journey.

I am currently force feeding myself quinoa, flaxseed, oatmeal, coconut flake, almond butter, whey, banana, and blueberry porridge. It is surprisingly good and sat peacefully on my gut at Roth.

Coffee is slowly stirring the brain (and gut) to life, and in about 45 minutes I will be up and out to transition to put nutrition on the bike. Back here for 5:30am, and then 40 minutes of chilling out before the penguin walk to the swim.

Can’t wait for that Welsh national anthem to ring out. Come on Wales, I love you! Let’s have a good day together!!

7 Likes

Is it a 7am start?
Tracker doesn’t seem to be up to date…

The sea looks like a frickin mill pond!

And some great aerial footage. Funny listening to the commentators trying their hardest to provide that constant chatter about a place they clearly know absolutely nothing about! :joy: I doubt they even know where Wales is!

I don’t get this!?
What’s a mill pond?

They are quite rough, with all the wheel action driving the mill, lots of swell in them.

But, if the mill is out of action, they’re as still as an image. No movement at all.

Anyways…lots of age groups swimming quicker than the pros.

I see that it means “very calm and not moving”

1 Like

:joy:

You not heard that saying before?

Skipper swam a 1.02 in a wetsuit in a very flat sea. I don’t think that’s looking great for Kona. Hopefully it was just a crappy swim.

Though Skipper has now posted the fastest split at 40km. Get on boy!