Is cadence still a thing?

Don’t need to - the original is still there. #resilience

2 Likes

do you mean your self selected cadence? there’s nothing “natural” about it other than it is not super natural or unnatural…

I meant what I wrote.

1 Like

you don’t fall into a cadence, you develop it (Knowingly or not) until it becomes a preference…

OK, if it makes you sleep at night, the cadence I unknowingly, unnaturally, sub-consciously ‘developed’ for the majority of time was exactly what I wrote the fucking first time.

7 Likes

thank you for the insightful response…

1 Like

When i raced on the track i purposely did a lot of high cadence work on the rollers to get efficient (you have to stay smooth), and in a sprint if your aren’t 160-180 you aint gonna win. Racing can be at 110-120 for 15 minutes depending on gear choice. With athletes I will mix it up, high, 120+ and low 60-70 so they have a range of tools to be comfortable with. If you are racing draft legal then you should be riding above 90 and a lower gear to enable faster acceleration.

1 Like

Some years back at the Leeds ITU race they had the red bike/blue bike challenge stand which are basically fixies. I topped out at 120rpm while my mate smashed at well over 150 & he’s a shit cyclist :slight_smile:.

Rollapaluza? We had them come to work as part of charity event. Good fun. I was alright but got battered by some of the really strong guys at work. I guess they would beat me on a track sprint but not an anything aerobic.

1 Like

They all have a specific purpose and therefore it is not just about being comfortable but about the outcomes…

Yes and no - speak to LCB’s coaches (or not as it turns out)…

1 Like

Yeah Rollapaluza is great fun.

A few years ago a mate hired a room of a pub for his birthday and we had a knockout tournament. I was getting diminishing returns with the increasing number of pints though!

3 Likes

Yeah that looks like the one.

1 Like

Lance used to ride at 100 rpm because cancer and therefore that must be best and we should all ride at 100 rpm too. Or I might be 20 years behind the current thinking? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

Do you reckon if he catches Covid-19 he would still test negative?

1 Like

“I have never taken Covid enhancing drugs and I am the most tested athlete in the world”, said Lance who then bunged the Covid testing programme $100,000…

1 Like

Timely;

I hope some of those statements were for the purpose of progressing the chat. “The run is predominantly aerobic, kinda wanna save that on the bike” Yeah, ride anaerobically and smash the marathon!

3 Likes

The first minute or so of GTN videos are generally throwing around some of the nonsense triathletes say.

The recent “Jargon Buster” video was a laugh.
Like visiting a few threads on here :rofl::see_no_evil:

I guess what grates is the incorrect, or maybe incomplete due to no context or explanation, use of Ex. Phys jargon. Like suggesting it tires your ‘aerobic’ with high cadence but your muscles with low cadence.

You know how some IT bods get really annoyed at a film when a monitor is shot up and the vital info on the computer is no longer available. :joy:

Wait until eJC hears them talk about natural cadence :grimacing:

1 Like

This popped up today. Looks like low cadence has benefit but this is very low cadence, high torque. Nothing to do with tiring your muscles and saving your aerobic though :joy:

Low cadence - John Wakefield

1 Like