Sounds like a few of us on the Helvellyn thread have some nerves about cold water swimming. Given we’ve left it too late to actually any do any OW swimming, anyone any useful tips for avoiding a DNF?
- cold showers between now and then
- getting in on Sunday morning pre-race
- thermal hat, gloves, boots if you have/need them
- Trying to keep as warm as possible pre-swim, but at same time ensuring no sudden cold water shock reflex at start of race if its a sudden entry start
- keep in mind core temp will continue to drop for around 30 minutes after exiting the swim, so air on side of caution if in 2 minds on bike kit
- take the bit of extra time in T1 to dry self bit more thoroughly.
- think warm thoughts.
- obligatory pre-race wetsuit pee
- swim faster, get out quicker. Simples.
Any of these wrong/not much benefit, and any other useful techniques that are free and useful in final week/race day?