Kristian Blummenfelt New IM WR 7h21 at Cozumel

Thanks for that @Rooster.

Can I ask if you have a link to the protocol you described for post Covid training, or what the name is? 5 weeks seems like a long time for no-symptom infections to get back to training.

Interesting one, this, I agree he looks big and muscular on TV - I think it’s all proportional though, he’s tiny in real life. I’m 6 foot and towered over him when I met him. His PTO blurb says he’s 74kg but I’d be surprised if he weighs 65 in real life

3 Likes

Here you go.
https://www.uptodate.com/contents/covid-19-return-to-play-or-strenuous-activity-following-infection

There are some pretty sobering facts in there regarding post covid cardiac infections even in low / no symptom infection

Tons of the guys I coach have had long term cardiac issues (6 months plus) - even if the ‘illness’ was quite low on the symptoms. good news is it’s almost always seemed to resolve. But my cardiologist and his pals are basically scratching their heads at WTF is going on, in his words, which was a bit worrying at the point they were sliding me into the MRI tube

2 Likes

Tritalk version of the Ice bucket challenge, I reckon. Nominate someone and they have to do it, and pay a tenner to Movember. Hilariously, I have KBs email address and I bet he’d be up for it

3 Likes

Ha ha, we have to get this going!

Challenge Daytona (spoiler)

How on earth did he pull that one off 2 weeks after IM WR at Cozumel.

Plus ITU world champ and olympic gold, scratching my head trying to think if any triathelete has ever had a better season? Nothing is springing to mind.

:muscle::trophy:

2 Likes

Think Mark Allen went unbeaten for a season, but that was pre Olympics, no ITU series but won everything on the table at the time.

Blu has gone from manic super league to Ironman. But he’s gotta beat Jan and win 70.3WC or Kona to get in the goat argument.

The man’s a monster, and more than capable.

3 Likes

Just appreciated what a great scoop that must have been @Rooster

1 Like

WTF are those distances about!?!

I saw the times and was like, WTF?!?!

Still, if the run actually was 18km, then 58 minutes is certainly shifting.
(3:14/km!!! Which is ~69 minute half. OFF THE BIKE :fire:)

1:43 for 80km on the bike :crazy_face::scream:
(46.6kmh or a 1:56 90km split!)

I see Blum already holds the record at 3:25 from Bahrain, but can he do a <3:20 70.3???

1 Like

Pretty sure he ran 1:06 or something like that in Bahrain, so 1:09 pace isn’t actually that fast for him!

And I had that run as 20.9k, so it wasn’t particularly short

1 Like

All this GOAT talk; people generally weren’t interested in Triathlon when Mark Allen was in his prime and tend to overlook how dominant he was. In 1989 he absolutely dominated and won the first official Worlds an Kona in a head-to-head. He won Nice 10 times; he won Kona 5 years in a row. No-one else will do that I bet. Jan had his chance 2015-19 but couldn’t. I bet Blum won’t either. And it wasn’t because Allen had no competition, he was beating a good pack of Germans, Aussies and other Euros every time.

A light bulb or telephone might seem trivial now, but in the context of history they were ‘legendary’ inventions. I put Blum & Frodeno something like an F1 car now, versus the Model T.

Just some ramblings from a guy on the Internet.

2 Likes

Okay, Boomer :older_man:t3:

Are you saying Allen is the Model T compared to Blum’s F1 car?

2 Likes

Back in my day…

1 Like

Boomer :sweat_smile:

I was in Baghdad when you were in your Dad’s bag.

4 Likes

Same argument applies to any sport. Breaking a WR doesn’t make you a GOAT.

You need to place everything in context. Allen effectively won the 70.3 Worlds TEN times.

I agree Mark Allen is right up there and may even be the :goat:, him or Frodo.

But have either of them had a season as madly successful as Blu just had?

1989 💁

1 Like

Just Wikipedia’d it, you are right, Mark Allen won both ITU worlds and Kona in 1989 & set the record there too.

He won Nice too in 89. So basically ITU Worlds, ‘70.3’ Worlds and Kona :fist_right::fist_left:

1 Like

You were in Baghdad when you were 10?