Local race attendance in 2022

Yeah its a good point. Take something away for a while and people realise they didnt miss it. I know as well a lot of people started doing their own individual “events”. Might not be the same, but doesnt cost a fortune either

1 Like

Threshold sent me an email this week offering Race to the Kings at 50% discount. I’m already in for the Stones (2020 deferral) so they offered it as a warm up event. I thought that was odd and usually their races are sellouts I think.

For me, I’ve entered less due to cost. Race prices seem to be on the wrong side of reasonable now. That’s not to suggest event companies are milking it but I am being more selective.

2 Likes

Our club event is struggling also, it used to sell out in an hour. Last year was the deferred event from 2020 and cut to a duathlon from a tri which may not have helped as maybe people are worried they will lose the swim again.

If there’s a duathlon that an enthusiastic 6 year old could take part in, let me know, I’ve got one chomping at the bit.

3 Likes

back to tri this year! not many races have 6year olds though, its the year they turn 8 for tristart. There is a tri at Trinity School, Croydon that has some younger events though (50m swim in pool)

1 Like

I actually forgot that our club decided to let another local club take on the standard distance race. Looks like they’ve got about 100 entries so far with 2 months to go.

Think that’s about what we got.

7 year olds for the free one in Walton on Thames

1 Like

32 entries taken out of 225 available for our race (mid July)

Although TBH we are terrible at promoting it :joy:

2 Likes

Im wondering if this is covid or just inevitable as the newer people to tri all jump straight to ironman and only race for a medal, car washing rag and a bag that falls apart after a week, when oldens just talk about the good old days when a sprint cost less than £50.

5 Likes

I think our 70.3 only costs £50!

5 Likes

Yeah, but you live in the North East. You can buy a terraced house for not much more than that :roll_eyes:

Hammerer lives in London, where you wouldn’t get much change from £50 for a round of flat whites at your local artisan coffee shop :rofl:

14 Likes

Yeah, he probably pays that for 90 minutes of misery at the fitba as well :joy:

5 Likes

Oi, a lot less, this year 655 / 200 for adult U16, next year £690 and £160 for U18 so less than £45 a game :wink: Saying that last night I paid ~£28 for a cheesburger, 2 x chips a beer and a coke!!!

4 Likes

Did El Nino not want to eat anything?

8 Likes

I’m not sure if Justin’s races count as local for me, they are driving distance from Mums. I’d drive a lot further for his races because he really cares about his races and his athletes and crew.

I’ve entered a local race to me, couldn’t be any more local. In fact the the coffee shop I’m in now is half way between my house and the start😄
It’s £45 for a 50km to essentially run on the trails I run on every week but if you don’t support these, who will?

Petrol prices, energy prices etc will make races with no big driving or hotels will become more attractive IMO

6 Likes

Just been sent an email from ctt asking to complete a questionnaire in regards to lower participant numbers

3 Likes

Good Friday 10, local race usually the one where most TTers in the region emerge from Winter training.

Field max 120, usually tops 100 - 66 this year.

3 Likes

A fairly prestigious local hilly TT was cancelled this morning due to insufficient entries.

1 Like

Everyone is racing on Zwift :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

At the ice hockey game here (DC) they wanted $15 for a large can of beer! I went without as it was mostly Bud :nauseated_face: and didn’t look at the food.

5 Likes