Local race attendance in 2022

Burger was £9.50 alone! , no better than a salmonella burger from a van. Chips £4 give or take, beer is £6.50 and 500ml coke is £3.50 iirc

El Niño normally has chicken burger which is pretty good, not cheap 7.50 iirc but decent quality. Think chicken burger and beer deal is £9.50 but cant remember exactly.

1 Like

Without it being nostalgia (honest) I definitely preferred the days of stopping at the pie van on the way from the turnstile to the stand than the food places within the stand that offer horrible food and drinks at ridiculous prices. But then Mo Salah needs paying :man_shrugging:t4: :laughing:

3 Likes

You can’t afford to eat? I think we need a GoFundMe set up for you :grin:

5 Likes

Haha, had to make sacrifices to get here :joy:

It looked and smelt rank :nauseated_face:

4 Likes

Seen that, not a very well designed survey really - Have you raced yet in 2022? Do you intend to race in 2022? Maybe just me, but surely most people aren’t racing until it gets a bit warmer?

It’s not going to answer the key question, are entry numbers down because less people are racing, or because people are racing less. I would fall into the 2nd category, I still intend to race but a few years ago I may have done half a dozen tris a year, plus a few runs, swims etc. This year maybe 1-2 tris and 1-2 other events, and mostly local.

Seeing the stress from people about entering / deferring / travelling to big events, I just don’t want the hassle. Maybe my races this year will re-ignite a desire, or maybe I will do more self supported adventures and not race at all.

5 Likes

I’m racing a similar number of tris, 5, but massively cutting down other races - TTs and runny races. Can’t rally justify using events as training, or sharpeners but will target a few.

1 Like

It’s obviously because people object to having to wear a helmet and have a front light on their bikes :wink:

Seriously, though, TTs are a weird one. You only have to enter 2 weeks in advance so pandemic uncertainty shouldn’t really be a factor. That leaves cost or change in behaviour

1 Like

And we certainly haven’t seen a corresponding collapse in the price of TT bikes, aero kit, disc wheels etc……

1 Like

In fact I turned to TTs over the last 2 years as my competitive outlet, for the reasons you mentioned. I could enter late, I could cycle there/back, be as social/anti-social as I liked and it didn’t involve swimming…

But I have little interest in travelling the country to do National events or to find a fast course. I will stick to measuring myself over my local course.

3 Likes

Seriously, people have discovered that they can race on Zwift for no incremental cost, no travel time to races, no cost to get the best equipment…

4 Likes

Don’t really buy zwift as the excuse, the style of racing is so fundamentally different, any bunch racers, it’s a completely different event, it may well attract individuals who weren’t suited to outdoor events, but it’s not a substitute in any way really.

For TT’ing again, it’s completely different for the folks who’d win (no caring about aero) and there is no measuring against times for others. I can’t see how zwift is it, and in any case zwift doesn’t get that many either does it?

1 Like

Yeah but…….mid pack in an open TT, or weight doped podiums on Zwift……

5 Likes

My choice on Thurs night was a wet and windy club TT on atrocious roads or any number of race options on zwift. They might be completely different - but they are my 2 choices for a hard bike session on this particularly Thursday.

I had a blast… meanwhile everyone on the TT complaining how awful it was. Not making me rush out next week till the weather really settles down.

We didnt podium :wink:

4 Likes

Mind you if it’s 75 deg F, sunny, not a breath of wind time triallists still moan like b&ggery….

6 Likes

TT’s also introduced road bike categories to get people down, then good testers saw it as a chance to get a good position! They are cheap enough though if there’s somewhere local.

I think DC courses put more people off now, due to the idiotic motorists.

1 Like

I’m not sure I’ll enter many more races this year except on the day fell races etc and maybe a few TT’s for training.

I’ve got quite a few carried over and big races like Boston, 3 peaks, UTMB and need to bear in mind the 70.3 in October. And the recovery from them.

I do also have 70.3’s in Maastricht and Dresden a week apart but I’m thinking of deferring Dresden until next year because of the travelling cost, on top of my other races. Maastricht is deferred from last year so race it or lose it.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was looking at my local events for this year, and a couple have moved from the rolling country roads to a flat/straight DC. I’m not going to do those, I drive that DC regularly and have no intention of riding a bike on it.

2 Likes

Idiotic motorists or not, DCs can’t be a safe place for cyclists to ride. I can see why anyone new to the sport would not want to be racing amongst the HGVs on a DC.

On road bike categories, when London Dynamo ran the first Richmond Park TTs they introduced a category for road bikes and a fixed wheel category aimed at commuters. They had to specify what they meant by “road bike” for the 2nd race after the winner of the first race turned up with a disc wheel, so they limited the depth of wheels. I won the first fixed wheel category on my commuter bike with full mudguards and a rack on the back, but for the 2nd race a couple of guys turned up on track pursuit bikes with discs and tri spokes :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

I’d largely agree with the DC’s, I know some will still race but it won’t appeal to most newcomers.

Although in my experience the HGV’s are usually the best at giving you room and often go into the outside lane. Worst for me are usually people who forget they are towing a caravan or horse box that is wider than their car!

There’s a few evening 10’s on the race track now that are usually very popular with no cars.

3 Likes

We had our club sprint Tri - Chirk - yesterday. Normally sells out 300 places, had 175 entries including rollovers & 118 people turned up :roll_eyes: .

Saturday afternoon & all day Sunday from 06:00 were full on setting up, running & clearing up event for what will be very little financial reward but those that raced had a great time on a cracking day & would have met me absolutely bossing transition.

Also saw my first person vaping in transition, ignorant twat.

12 Likes