Local race attendance in 2022

DBMaxx 51fiver Oly distance Tri still has places. heel is feeling good. Do I risk it and give it go? Haven’t swam since last year. £68

5 Likes

I’m failing to see the issue here. :man_shrugging:

If you said - ahh i’m just getting over my running injury, i’d sympathise. But this. This isn’t a valid excuse sorry.

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

That’s a good price for 2-2.5hrs racing :+1:t3:
JFDI.
What’s the worst that could happen?

(I really didn’t want to do Staffs, but after Mallorca and watching Utah, it made me realise I’m missing running and swimming, so decided to “train” a little bit for it)

3 Likes

Re injure my heel but its feeling good so far…

1 Like

Well…there is that.
But you’ve always got bike riding if that happens :+1:t3:

I found it a frustrating race. Draft fest on the bike, with big groups riding with questionable road skills, crashing on gravel corners, swerving out in front of cars to overtake each other etc. Then the run around the lake 2 or 3? times without a road section means it becomes a log jam through the long trail down the far side of the lake with the front runners trying to get past back markers. DB max are great as always but the race itself is underwhelming.

New run course this year, one big road loop to get your money’s worth from your mega trainers. Bike can be a draft, but no more or less than most OD I’ve seen. Again, one loop so it’s not too busy.

2 Likes

Our pool sprint race had over 130 people in the end and a full set of volunteer marshals. Those that run the club are happy as it means some money back in to help offset pool / coach costs.

8 Likes

I keep getting posts from OSS plugging the Dart 10k on my FB feed, saying last few places left. That used to sell out in minutes, has even the “wild swimming” bubble burst?

1 Like

If f’ing only.
It’s still all happy clappy nonsense.
“You’re all superstars” and all that jazz.

Just cut the crap and let people swim.

I get “looks” as I’m doing laps at a pedestrian pace.
Or I did last year.

People bobbing round nearly naked with tow floats doing 3:00/100m.

“It’s soooo good for my mental health”

You mean your Facebook/WhatsApp/Instagram though, don’t you?

Pisses me off.

5 Likes

Local 10k race last night, proper grassroots running. No frills, just turn up, pay your money and suffer.

252 entries, 232 finishers, great support throughout.

12 Likes

20 people couldn’t run 10km?!?

I saw that on your Strava - great time for an evening.
Was it a mix of surfaces?

There used to be one in Burton-upon-Trent like that:
The Midsummer Shobnall Fields 10k.

Turn up at a pub, pay £7 (or a fiver if you were an EA member) and wait until 7pm. Then run.
Pan flat it was, too.

Best types of events those are :+1:t3:

2 Likes

I know. Mind you, if your calf goes… it goes.

9km or so was on tarmac, but the other k was horrible. Trails (caked in mud), grass and some field that had just been cut with all the long grass lying on top.

I could have given more, in hindsight. Lungs felt massive, and hr low. Just couldn’t move my legs any quicker!

3 Likes

Not at all judgemental from someone who has plenty of their own little quirks :joy:

I get on fine with the bobble hat wearing dippers, enjoying a nice wee chat with them on the shore & when swimming they’ve normally got tow floats that I can easily see when breathing/sighting.

If it wasn’t for them there would be fewer OW sights.

10 Likes

I know, I know :see_no_evil:
I think “these people are the same age as my Mother and Aunt, who also enjoy this, calm down”

But I still get “The Rage” :joy:🫣

2 Likes

I honestly can’t remember the last time anything really pissed me off, lost my temper or anything resembling bad juju. There must be something wrong with me :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

This is great news on the run route, thanks @buzz! Might be the push I needed. As per @Bob I was running through a lot of traffic last year on the narrow lake path due to my ultra slow swim pace, which was definitely putting me off a bit doing it again.

I’ve run and cycled those roads loads so a nice little advantage.
Now the main issue if I sign up is I have a time to beat from last year so ‘taking it easy’ on my heel is out of the question.

@Poet Why the negativity this morning? :pensive:

3 Likes

@Poet is a bit sleep deprived this morning. Our sartorial ignorance and bomb site kitchens kept him awake all night. :smile:

10 Likes

Is another issue with low entries this year because a lot of people have rollover events which might clash with this year’s local events?

I’ve grown a pair and entered the 51fiver Oly. Will splashing about in the lake before the start count as swim training :grimacing:

But in all honesty I might try and get in for paddle tomorrow afternoon.

11 Likes