Local race attendance in 2022

2:27 to beat from last year…swimming technique might have improved very slightly, bike speed, questionable, did a 1:09 which I thought was pretty reasonable. Overall strength for swim and bike should be improved from a year at the gym. Run I should be able to improve on really as it will be road rather than congested lake path, and I’ll get full benefit from cheat shoes, but thats offset by the fact I’m only just coming back from injury.

Gonna head down to the lake later to get a few hundred meters in to remind myself how to swim

4 Likes

From the TT Facebook group. Certainly goes beyond triathlon, although I will acknowledge there are other issues with TT’s and increasingly people don’t want to go on DC’s

A few days ago I posted a comment about a National TT series event only having one male senior entrant.
Well unfortunately this next post really brings home how drastic the drop-off in number’s in domestic TTing has sadly become.
The Blue Riband of men’s UK Time Trials (the National 25 mile championsbip) was once THE event that any half decent racing cyclist would have dreamt of winning, the one event that any club rider would have loved to ride if their time was fast enough (with a chance to ride against all the best time triallists in the country) and which every top class rider would have loved to have had on their palmares even just once whether they be a roadman or out and out “tester”. The list of previous winners contains names that will forever be associated with top class, and very often world class, riders and there will be others who should be on that list but who were never destined to win it. In the past a full field of 120 was guaranteed, these days a full field of 150 was always guaranteed.
This years men’s National 25 mile championsbip has 64 riders! :disappointed_relieved:

5 Likes

CTT have nobody to blame but themselves. An archaic organisation that couldn’t get of their own way.

For years people were screaming for change, modernisation and looking to the future and even getting to acknowledge a concern was like dragging a stubborn donkey through treacle. The could not have had their future writ any more large and they still ignored it.

It’s a shame about the NAT25 but FMD, they are some dead set morons over there. I feel sorry for those that really tried to make a change and just got stonewalled.

8 Likes

But equally when they forced through helmets and front lights some racers continued to moan despite it being for their safety! So some of the actual members were also guilty.

But I do largely agree with your point.

3 Likes

True enough.

Yeah / I’m with FP on this one.
Those comments to JGav on his local club TT are bang out of order.

I managed to get six people out to our local TT last night, then didn’t go myself :rofl::see_no_evil:
I’m always trying to encourage people to “have a go” - the new road bike category is great, too :+1:t3:

But to me, it’s not surprising entries are so low.

Also, it’s on the S130/25 course.
Which is literally up and down the A38.
On a Saturday.
In the summer.

Yeah. One road in and out of Devon/Cornwall.
Let’s TT on that :joy::joy:

(@fruit_thief @gingerbongo - it’s close to you both)
Who the fook wants to risk travelling so damn far for a day that might not be optimal?

5 Likes

Well… my local club hosted the national 3 up TTT. They posted a promotional video of the event. Oh my days.
The very first team hitting the island at the end - all straight across the front of a car from the right. Watching the other teams come through and it was just abysmal riding from about half the teams.
1 car was sat waiting to join the roundabout as a team split; 2 going on the offside, 1 down the nearside - before cutting up the car that was already on the roundabout.

Don’t think Id’ve associated my club with that footage.

11 Likes

Cornwall is close to Dorset in the same way that Algeria is close to France: not very, and you probably don’t go there to do a time trial.

2 Likes

It’s literally over the M5 :joy:

But that’s it, why would anyone go down there to do a time trial?

Where the fastest time is 55mins?

Nat25 level testers want to see a 48:xx
Not some poxy 55:xx :joy:

2 Likes

7 Likes

:joy: :joy:

2 Likes

Here, it’s Devon/Somerset.
But it’s all cider swilling pirates, isn’t it?

4 Likes

Ripon triathlon cancelled due to low attendance :disappointed:

2 Likes

Is that the Trihard one?

Edit: doesn’t look like it, I thought the original Ripon race wasn’t on this year anyway?

1 Like

This one Ripon Triathlon Festival - STANDARD DISTANCE - RaceBest

It’s over a weekend with different events. I was thinking about doing the standard distance.

Ripon tri used to run that and it sometimes had nearly 1k entrants, decent well ran race. That’s a shame, hopefully they might be able to put it on again next year when people don’t have carryover races.

I think Wetherby tri isn’t on this year either, it would normally be this weekend.

There’s the Dalesman at the racecourse in August which multiple distances.

1 Like

Isn’t the main issue with the National 25 TT on ge fact that the Tour Of Cambs TT is the same weekend and that really does attract the top riders these days. All of the entrants will be rollovers from 2020 as well.

1 Like

Up at 5.00 tomorrow for epicman middle distance start at 7.00. Confidently predicting the day to progressively get worse, not fully mojoed for this but it was cheap (under £100 full price) and you get a hoodie. Hoping windermere has warmed up in the sun today :cold_face:

13 Likes

Apparently it’s either my fault or my clubs fault for it being so hard to get information. That you even need to be a member of a club is a problem.

and you’re supposed to buy a book?

4 Likes

Nah.
No need to buy a book , don’t know why they told you that :man_shrugging:t4:

It’s all online now.
I was surprised in 2019 it was no longer entry by cheque!
I’d ordered a cheque book and everything. :joy::see_no_evil:

Also, joining a club is good.
New pals, new routes, new people to hate upon :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::speak_no_evil:

3 Likes