Local race attendance in 2022

550+ people at Nantwich last week for the Cheshire sprint.
Really well run as usual by UK Triathlon.

Surprised myself with a 1:12:xx (500/20k/5k) and a 23:30 run off almost zero running all year. Really fun day and very well supported.

14 Likes

well put…

3 Likes

Yep and ToC means you can qualify for fat lad worlds and race for GeeeeBeeee as long as you dont come last or something. Makes Tri AG look like the Olympics.

1 Like

I know a guy who joined committee a couple of years back full of ideas and how he would modernise it i see a photo of the AGM, bunch of grey haired retired grandads , all sat separately in little cliques , all arguing over whether to have cheese sandwiches and egg or whether ham would be better. They dont stand a chance. Add the fact that many people got pissed off unable to race certain courses because you needed a fast time that you couldnt get unless you got a start on one of these fast courses. Then add that even Phil Graves complained that unless you ride a 15k bike with the latest skinsuits and helmets you couldnt be competitive. All adds up to frustration where you can literally think, im gonna race and jump on Zwift 15minutes later.

5 Likes

Where and when did he say that?
Interested to read it, that’s all!

UK Time Trialling FB group, a post complaining about lack of entrants unsurprisingly.

ETA :-

7 Likes

Great day at Epicman middle distrance (there was also an olly on) yesterday. Mid-pack age-group finish which very pleased with (better than my overall or male postion, due to lots of young-uns racing). Weather great and Windermere wasn’t that bad, no brainfreeze but my feet didn’t warm up until the run. Nice swim, tough bike (not done much hills this year) and fairly technical lumpy trail run, which needed a desperate toilet stop 3/4 way through the final lap, I’ll spare you the emoji. I don’t think I’ve seen as many marshalls on a course, you couldn’t get lost on the bike and run with plenty of signage as well. Highly recommended for an ealry (lumpy) half for currently just under £100. I’ve done their Bassenthwaite olly (there is also a sprint) a couple of times at the end of the season which is another great event :smiley:

14 Likes

Awesome. Sounds like a proper bargain race, that’s still really well run.

Decent weather for it?

1 Like

Yes, perfect really for end of May

1 Like

Good work :clap:t3:
I went to enter that on Friday, but they’d closed entries on Thursday :speak_no_evil::man_shrugging:t4:

Deffo on my radar for next year :+1:t3:

What’s the hoody like?
Good quality?

1 Like

The hoodies ok - mid-range I would say, not sure how long the logo will last when washing. I got a large and throught it was massive, but somehow it changes size when you put it on and it fits ok :man_shrugging: (probably a medium for you though)
I certainly don’t need any more technical tee-shirts so for a training/diy top its good and even if you only got a medal at the end it would be a fantastic value event so the hoodie is a bonus. Lots of TT bikes on the course as the hills aren’t that bad and I did manage to get on my clip-ons for quite a bit.

2 Likes

Agree to it being a great race, was my half in 2019. Would recommend all events by that company - well organised races and brilliant value in current landscape. Seem to remember they also do a few 3.8k swim races, one of which was 1-2 weeks before IMUK as good prep

1 Like

Good stuff, sounds like a good race!

1 Like

Despite the threat of downpours I decided to make Greta proud & cycled along to the first of 4 Deva Aquathlons last night. In the end the weather wasn’t too much of an issue with only one hoofing storm during the race briefing but we were wetsuited up by then so…:man_shrugging:.

It was a rolling start of 2*375mtrs using a pontoon to start & as an Aussie exit.

…followed by a 5km run.

Having had 12hrs or so to reflect on my swim I can be happy with it for a couple of reasons

• My OW swim pace in race conditions was much closer to my pool times than it has been so far this season.

• My dives were pretty good.

Certainly better than the person who entered before me :smile:

My exquisite dive doesn’t tell the full story as during the first lap I twice had to stand up close to the bank & roll over on my back later in the deeper water as I had a few panic attacks. My head had gone, my chest was tight & I just couldn’t breath.

The water wasn’t too cold - they said 15degC - & I’ve got about 20,000 OW swim metres in this season. Having had time to put myself on the psychiatrist’s couch I think I would have massively benefitted from a pre-race dip to acclimatise & “float” my wetsuit into place but this wasn’t an option. As it was I probably set off too fast, my wetsuit was too tight across my chest & there were other bastarding people in the water spoiling my swim karma.

My second lap was tickety-boo.

Transition was reasonable. I was a bit discombobulated & wasted a few seconds getting my wetsuit leg over the timing chip on my ankle, but that’s easy gains.

The run was satisfyingly good & with a long out & back section I could see where competitors were & high five clubmates. My £24 trisuit - now £21 :smile: - did the job & didn’t reveal too much.

Over all it was a good evening & I cannot wait for the next one to sort out my swim.

20 Likes

Well done @Doonhamer,

That dive session you did the day before paid off then? :grin:

3 Likes

Very good!

I’ve thrown my name in for one of Sale aquathlons in a couple of weeks time. And I must admit to being slightly nervous of the OW swim as I’ve not done one since pre-Covid. Sure it’ll come back to me but it’s not ideal.

3 Likes

1st old dude as well :trophy:

Eyes on that series prize surely?

2 Likes

Did that other person come up with silt on their head :joy:

5 Likes

I think they’re still down there :joy:.

There’s video footage on FB of the Aussie exit with some fantastically varying techniques & people giggling in the background :joy::rofl::joy:

6 Likes

I did this, thought it was a really good event although I had no idea what I would’ve done with car keys etc if my wife didn’t come down for it.

Came home in 1.21 ish. I’m still slower than I was in February sadly after getting covid in march.

I’d recommend this to people that fancy trying out triathlon, but I remember pre pandemic I managed to get a couple of people from work up for a triathlon, but if I told them they could do this for 65 quid (more next year I believe) I reckon they’d take some convincing.

4 Likes