Low alcohol / sugar / whatever January 2024

Posting here for accountability. Going to try going low sugar for 31 days. Specifically, refined sugar in recreational processed foods.

• no chocolate
  • no cakes
  • no Haribo marshmallows :yum::cry:
  • no Carrefour chocolate granola :cry:
  • no danish pastries
  • no Nutella or biscoff spread
  • no little choc mousses in pots :yum:

I feel strangely desolate writing that list.

Exceptions allowed:

• fruit juice including mango and guava
  • bananas and fresh fruit generally
  • if actually doing some training over 1 hour
  • if rude to decline (get out of jail card)

Grey areas:

• cereal bars
  • jam and honey to enliven toast
  • dates and raisins.

This isnā€™t just a post-Christmas guilt trip. Have been meaning to see if I can clean up my diet for a while. Might be too hard. Will let you know how it goesā€¦

Anyone else want to join in with the poison of their choice?

21 Likes

This is my poison but it just sounds like Iā€™d be removing all fun from my life! I do aim to reduce it though and have recently after noticing signs of spikes & drops again that are unpleasant.

Chocolate drinks are probably my biggest vice, but they are expensive so I will be reducing them for sure.

This is slightly motivational though.

Edit: how about very dark chocolate like 85%, not a great deal of sugar in that?

7 Likes

Yep Im in.

• No Booze
  • No refined sugar.
  • At least two vegetarian meals a week

I think dark chocolate should be allowed. Very low sugar and lots of health benefits from flavinols and fibre.

Need to lose the last of the weight, eater better and cheaper. Hope for a good 5-6kg loss in Jan

11 Likes

Iā€™m also in

The last 3 months of 2023 were pretty grim - excessive amounts of work, tons of stress, not enough sleep, bugger all exercise leading to an all time low fitness score on Training Peaks

Training went really well for me in 2023 until mid May when I tweaked my achillies (which probably cost me a finish at Western States), did the Race to the Stones and thereafter fitness fell off a cliff.

2024 - looking forward to the year ahead.

No:

• chocolate
  • processed sugar
  • takeaways
  • cake
  • crisps
  • alcohol

Plenty of veggies, sleep and exercise

Bring it on

7 Likes

Low swimming is not a valid option btw :smiley:

4 Likes

I made some ā€˜gainsā€™ losing some weight, although Xmas week at Mumā€™s has probably undone that. :man_facepalming:

Drink more water every day, not just when I remember.

5 Likes

In 2013 I decided to do Dry January.

It actually started on the 29th December for me. I got a pretty scary reality check on how much I was drinking

I knew I was a heavy drinker and that prompted the dry January idea, however, on that Sunday afternoon I drove up,to my mums, 3 miles away. On the way home there had been an accident and the traffic cops were stopping cars. If that cop had come up to my car to tell me what was going on, Iā€™d likely have been arrested for drunk driving. Itā€™s was 1500 and I was still rocking from the previous night. Why he never approached me Iā€™ll never know, he spoke to another 5 cars ahead of me in that queue.

This was not unusual for me. I never thought of myself as an alcoholic, however, it was becoming clear I was. Without going into detail, I was an absolute cnut on drink, amazed my wife put up with it. I could sink a litre of vodka or whisky in a night. Always had at least 4 beers before dinner and always at least a bottle of wine every night.

Anyway, that was 29/12/2013 and Iā€™ve been sober ever since.

This year Iā€™m looking to cut down on sugary snacks.

39 Likes

Word! :+1:

8 Likes

Thatā€™s a brave post mate, well done. :+1:

7 Likes

Good luck to you allā€¦

2 Likes

I think that this is genuinely beyond meā€¦

But I will try and manage/monitor/reduce my intake of:

Red wine
Guinness
Chocolate
Car sweets
Take out coffee
Shop/cafe bought lunch

and I am going to try some of that with a little more S/B/Rā€¦

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing that. I see an awful lot of myself in that post.

Ive given up a lot in the past and not drank for months but always return to it.

I am ok on drink but I think everyone got fed of me sitting around drinking all the time and not doing anything. Its not the only reason but it contributed to my marriage problems.

I do wonder if I need to take that step and give up for good. Trying to reduce it doesnt work.

Leo McGarry in the West Wing summed it up for me perfectly:

ā€œI donā€™t have one drink. I donā€™t understand people who have one drink. I donā€™t understand people who leave half a glass of wine on the table. I donā€™t understand people who say theyā€™ve had enough. How can you have enough of feeling like this? How can you not want to feel like this longer? My brain works differently.ā€

Whats scary is the what should have been the wake up call was when my BP got really high and I was honest with the doctor about how much I drank. She nearly fell off her chair.

14 Likes

Recognise myself too in the drinking thread. Gave up completely c11 years ago and absolutely love it.

Clear head, good sleep, more spending money, no embarrassing motioning after situations to unravel.

There comes a point when you donā€™t need it, donā€™t miss it, donā€™t even want it and itā€™s utterly liberating.

12 Likes

Started tonight with a banging home made veggie curry courtesy of yours truly

Rounding off the new year with really nice bottle of red before early rise for New Years Day run

I donā€™t have the same relationship with alcohol with some of you on here but I do love wine. My sleep will be awful as a result though. Starting to wonder these days if it is worth it.

8 Likes

Iā€™m in, good post @fruit_thief.

My biggest (perhaps only) vice is chocolate. Iā€™m still like a 3 year old.

Cold turkey is perhaps a no-go (Iā€™ll just get moaned at as weā€™ve been given a lot for Christmas).

Caveat is one chocolate treat a day.

9 Likes

All I plan to do is lose the 2kg Iā€™ve gained in the last week. Should be easy as Iā€™ve had manflu followed by pulling my back yesterday morning; so just need to get back to exercising properly.

7 Likes

No-one talking about ice-cream?

1 Like

Interesting quote. The bolded bit resonates. The undbolded bit not so much. Maybe it did more when I was at uni (I used to remember ā€œpreferring myselfā€ when Iā€™d had a few drinks - the social barriers seemed to come down). But not so much anymore. I donā€™t really enjoy being bladdered nowadays. I feel crappy in the moment. And then I feel even worse the following day! Iā€™m genuinely fearing my stag do, especially as Iā€™m the ā€œlast oneā€.

Itā€™s why Iā€™ve largely moved to non alcoholic beers at home. I just canā€™t see the point in drinking one random beer, or drinking by myself. The odd whisky by myself is the exception.

9 Likes

Fuck that shit!

Apart from my work Christmas do, I donā€™t think Iā€™ve had any booze since my RWC cycle to Paris in September, so giving up booze would be a non-event for me, but life wouldnā€™t be worth living without sugary snacks.

I lost a load of weight to row Lightweight in my final year at uni and gave up everything pleasurable to eat and drink for 6 months and it was pure misery.

I wouldnā€™t want to put myself through that again :roll_eyes:

12 Likes

This sums me up perfectly. All or nothing.

Itā€™s something Iā€™ve been working on with a counsellor since last year, among other things.

4 Likes