Merino winter-ish socks

My cheapo planet-x/carnac merino socks seem to be coming to end of life.

After some replacements for commuting. I’ve got woolie boolie stuff for the depths of winter; so looking more for around the 5 degree range.

The planet-x ones had a bit of weight (ie they felt warm) - where as I’ve had some endura ones that were a bit more technical merino (?) and they didn’t feel as cosy.

Suggestions please :slight_smile:

You are truly a “nesh” Midlander :rofl:

I just use Rapha winter socks, with a thinner summer sock underneath for when it’s really cold.

I don’t know what that means :thinking: (I’ll assume not complimentary :p)

I did the 2 sock thing before and generally found I had colder feet :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Stupid autocorrect :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

NESH - Likes being warm / doesn’t like being cold

Woolie boolie’s

The best socks in the world

1 Like

Ah nesh - I dunno, you correct my grammar then don’t spell properly :wink:

I never actually go full overshoes in my defence… anyway - Rapha - sound expensive.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve got them - but at the moment, they are ok for 1 leg of the journey then you’re feet melt going home.

1 Like

Just remember to size up on merino, as your wife will probably shrink them, like all your wool garments over the years :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

I wear mine in summer sometimes, feet can get a bit sweaty but I can accept it on most days. Particularly living in frozen tundra that is the north of the UK :cold_face::joy:

2 Likes

… you know what to do there then sunshine, it’s 2021 :wink:

2 Likes

Quite. But I don’t do 100% of the laundry! It’s normally because she puts it in the tumble drier.

How do you think I managed when I was single or living away? :sweat_smile:

You didn’t buy wool :rofl:

2 Likes

No, I (for one) actually read the garment care labels :tipping_hand_man:

1 Like

The wife is actually v.good - with both of us training regular all kit goes in its own wash and never goes in the drier.
Ironically its only ever my running socks that seem to shrink; bike ones all seem to be ok.

That’s not normal, you need to reconsider your life choices :joy:

1 Like

Predictably enough I’m going to recommend the Galibier offering :grin: . I’ve got 3 or 4 pairs of their Firefeet. Not had Woolie Boolie so can’t comment on them, but I prefer them to the excellent value PX socks.

3 Likes

I have a couple of pairs of those, they have to be 10yrs old, I think they’re called Winter Plus. Great sock but a bit short for a winter sock.

My favourite thick sock to wear over thin ones is a long pair from Lidl that my sister gave me for Xmas a couple of years ago. They’re great!

1 Like