Momentous event cancellation and lack of refund

Crumbs. Just seen the UK Triathlon email about proposals for their July race. Not entered just seems to have gone to their mailing list. Seems a horrific amount of effort, and begs the question as to whether it’s worth it. Surely you just say stop and move on.

1 Like

IM Switzerland just cancelled

I was going to mention that, I like the way they say rescheduled, as if it wasn’t going ahead next year!

There won’t be many options for a full IM next year with all these rollovers of races that were full. It will hit their bottom line, they really need the late season races like Wales, Italy and Barca to go ahead to have races to enter next year.

Kona will be a bit of a farce this year if it happens.

I’ve gone for a refund for Outlaw Half Bowood; it’s only £85 back (£202 outlay) but I cannot really commit to the date late next year; it moved from 7th June 2020 to 12 Sep 2021.

Dambuster has now been moved to 12th September (alongside the Vitruvian) which is the weekend before I’m meant to be doing Italy 70.3, otherwise I can have a credit to a future event, no refund available it seems. What’s the likelihood of either event actually happening?

Some of the talk coming out and even 2021 looks ambitious for races

how long is that string??

from inside the TO camp, we are being asked by event organisers if they should still go ahead or postpone/cancel. frankly, we have no answer for them as we don’t know how things are going to pan out - it’s out of our hands and in the hands of the BTF/ITU and relevant governments. so if events get the go ahead, will government the restrict numbers of people gathering in one place? - if so, that will trump any sports authority decisions.

That’s beginning to be my thinking. Which is why I don’t want to do anything outside of what event organisers are offering (e.g. deferring early now). If I’m not getting a refund, then I don’t want to risk prejudicing future options.

Outlaw Half - default option of move to May 2021. No fee. It’s a UK event, so maybe things like this might be possible by this time next year?

IM Vitoria - still no communication, except for IM Spain to claim “it is definitely going ahead as planned”. Not going to do anything on this and will accept what I expect to be a likely cancellation and move to 2021 (seeing that they already have IM Barca late in the year to cross their fingers on). Have got a full refund for my accommodation. I’m still thinking 2021 might be tricky with international travel. Do you think the option to then defer will rollover if the event is cancelled, meaning do it in 2022?!

IM Wales - don’t expect any communication for some time. Don’t expect it to go ahead. September 2021 is probably a reasonable chance of going ahead. Especially for domestic UK competitors.

Other events I wanted to do in 2021…
Boston marathon - struggle to see the US opening borders in the near future. They might open up their own country internally, but can see them pulling up the drawbridge to internationals. What does this mean for qualification windows? Having taken so long to get what is largely an automatic Q time (over 15mins under my target time) it would be frustrating to entirely miss out on an opportunity to apply, but I’m feeling that might be the end result.

2 Likes

IM Austria officially postponed to September today. With option to defer to 2021.

That’s a big jump, 15mths?

1 Like

Yes, it’s gone from early season Half, to late season; I guess venue availability?

I reckon they’re taking a view on the risk that the covid-19 situation might still be an issue in June 21 and they don’t want to risk having to cancel/reschedule again.

The vaccine within 12 months was best case scenario, so if that slips we could still be in and out of lockdown next June

Our tri club announced last night they are still hoping the 70.3 in August goes ahead, might be lucky but it only has about 200 entries and I wonder if they can stagger the start a bit. There was something today about possibly starting with smaller events where there’s less chance of mass infections like what was always going to happening at the Cheltenham festival etc.

I’m probably going to gamble with my Boston place. They don’t do deferrals and I can’t see it going ahead in September which might mean I can get in next year. I don’t have a QT for 2021 unless I can get a marathon in before September which is unlikely.

I’m fairly nervous about events in April and would have rather had a refund for Texas 70.3, the race might go ahead in April 21, but whether they’ll let us in the country is another matter.

I can’t see me entering many races for next year unless they get a miracle cure or vaccine later this year.

So it’s probably scuppered a lot of the plans I did have for next year, I had hoped to get a place for London, and maybe try and get into the 70.3 WC again.

I’ll wait and see.

They’ve not done that with Outlaw Half. That’s the same weekend in 2021 as it was scheduled for in 2020

We’re talking about Outlaw Half Bowood. That’s moved 15 months.

I know. I was replying to suggestion that the Outlaw team don’t think events will be running by the early part of next season, and that’s why they moved the timing of Bowood. The Nottingham Half still being in May debunks that

Luckily every localish event I had entered either for myself or my son have had entries rolled over till next year, none of them are even bothering trying to reschedule for this year.

Only real bummer for me is that it was my sons first year entering tri’s and was due to race in the Tristar Start age group, but next year he is too old for that so he will never get the chance to race with pure beginners like himself again :disappointed:

IM70.3 Switzerland, which was postponed about 4 weeks ago have just announced that the revised date is September 13th 2020. I understand that this is fully in line with Swiss plans to gradually lift restrictions, so there must be a reasonable degree of confidence in this date

The announcements are flowing now, not sure I’d fancy doing a 70.3 on the North Sea cost in October!

there’s still be a lot of pure beginners in Tristar 1 - by the time he gets to Tristar 3 other newbies will look at him like a pro… :grin:

1 Like