Muddy trainers in winter

Assuming there’s no dog muck on them I’d call them clean TBH and you’re good to go when they dry out.

Dirty for me is when they weight about 3 times as much as normal!

I bring mine in the kitchen to clean them and Mrs FP usually helps with the clean up after…

Marry well :pray: :grin:

Special net wash bag from Decathlon.
Our machine has a trainer setting - gentle at 30 degrees.
I leave the laces in.

2 Likes

:rofl:

Road shoes, I don’t care about dirt but I’ll let them dry inside the back door - phnaaar :joy: - or on a radiator.

Trail/fell shoes I don’t care about dirt for these either, but I do care about the smell of sheep & other agricultural shit. They’ll get scrubbed at the outside tap & then dried in the same way as road shoes.

I’ve never put shoes through the wash :man_shrugging:

Rinse them under the tap and stuff with newspaper…

1 Like

When you are cleaning your bike parts in the dishwasher, just pop your trainers in there also. Everything comes out dry and sparkling. Job done, why make life complicated?

8 Likes

:sweat_smile:

How do you get a laptop or tablet in a trainer?

3 Likes

the sunday time is usually enough for a week’s worth of wet shoes…

Not bought a Sunday Times since the first lockdown, there used to be a week of reading in it.

2 Likes

Only put mine in the machine when the smell gets too bad - they can almost walk by themselves if have been running for a long time in the wet

Otherwise stiff brush and bit water then left in utility room to dry

Here I was reading this thread yesterday thinking ‘I’ve never felt the need to wash a pair of trainers, why does it matter if they’re muddy?’. Gone down this morning to discover the dog has peed on my Pegs which were airing by the radiator. Now I’m very grateful for this thread! Going to put them in an old pillowcase and wash on low heat/gentle spin then leave to dry slowly near, but not on, a radiator.

Any other pearls of wisdom?

3 Likes

Mine never smell. It’s the mud getting in the mat that’s causing marital discord.

Cleaning seems to be the way forward, I’ll just have to get my act together.

Ditto, and no dog, so should be safe…

1 Like

My fell shoes live in the log store unwashed; pointless cleaning them all the time. Don’t even bother with socks at the moment it’s so muddy.

Running in the snow is the best way to clean them up.

4 Likes

You need a boot buddy.

Handy little thing.

i#ve seen these advertised. Are they actually any good?

Could be handy for getting the worst off the kids’ wellies and stuff before they jump into the car. How does it cope with a more aggrssive tread pattern on a pair of trail shoes for example. All the videos i’ve seen are on ‘flat’ trainers or football boots. Both of which have very smooth outsides, so easy to scrub/wipe the mud off anyway.

Ta

Plastic tub or bucket, washing up brush or nail brush, rubber gloves. Dump shoes in tub. Fill up with warmish water. Shower, eat, shoes now marinated enough for mud to be loose. Brush off, rinse with clean water, then the useful bit. Stuff shoes with old rags, e.g. worn out socks, old teatowels etc. Within 5 minutes, rags are soaking, shoes less wet. Remove rags, stuff with dry ones. Give it an hour or two. Remove rags. Shoes now just damp and should dry overnight.
Why bother? Because mud contains abrasive grit, and when you move around in gritty shoes, the uppers wear much faster. And the grit gets into your socks and wears them out too. It is a trade-off between the time it takes to clean the shoes, and the cost of replacing them more often.

2 Likes