Music/sound systems/TV

No worries, I’ve got a sneaking suspicion my short term fix may end up permanent.
The only slight snag is the the power cable on the DVD player is shorter than the other separates so won’t reach the sockets, so I’ve got an extension lead hanging over the front at the moment, which will need sorting.

Next stop the DIY thread. :wink:

2 Likes

I bought really expensive power cables for my set up but they didn’t reach the socket. So I ran a separate ring main just for them. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

My solution will be somewhere between yours and Paul_L’s picture, but nearer to Paul’s :grin:
ETA

I must confess to a minor panic when I didn’t think I’d added enough. I didn’t want a load of spare cable coiled up at the back so cut it quite fine :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I’d still look at getting the Marantz fixed if it was me. They made some great CD players in their time. I picked up a Marantz CD63 KI for £50 a couple of years ago. This was a £500 player when it was new, so keep your eyes open…:+1:

1 Like

Inspired me to set up my turntable.

Thorens turntable and a Rotel amp both circa 1970s

Had FGTH on and sounded great.

The Mrs has put Taylor Swift on now and doesn’t sound as good haha.

Do need to get some decent speakers though.

3 Likes

Amazed the capacitors still work

Rotel RA 312

Just googled it and manufacture years where 1976-1981.

Still going strong :muscle:

1 Like

Not knowing what speakers you have, I’d say yes.
But if the system sounds good then maybe not.

1 Like

Back then stuff was made to last.

1 Like

Only got a small pair of PC speakers running from the headphone socketvof the amp tbh so need to invest in something more inkeeping with the separates.

Got the turntable and amp from my Mums when she was clearing the loft room before she moved.

Hadn’t been used in years but I remembered it from when I was a kid and glad to bring it back to life, as my Dad (RIP) used to love playing his records on it.

1 Like

Then even a modest set of HiFi speakers will give you a decent improvement in sound. :+1:

1 Like

You could do worse than these, they’ve been the go to small speakers since god was a boy. £60 is a no brainer.

2 Likes

They look ideal :ok_hand:

1 Like

The woman I thought was blanking me about the Denon got back to me this morning (apparently misplaced her phone for 2 days :roll_eyes:)
£40 later and I’m back in business.

Ps. My OCD is nagging me to get a Denon amp but must resist as the Arcam is great, but does look a bit odd with the other two now.

5 Likes

Arcam alpha is a great stereo amp. Definitely keep it

1 Like

Yeah that Arcam is a great amp. That’s definitely the winner out of that pile, although Denon did make some great CD players…

1 Like

Yeah, my original set-up was the Arcam Amp, Marantz CD player and some Heybrook Optima floorstanding speakers, all very careful researched and chosen at the time (early 90s?).
I picked up the the Denon tuner second hand at some point after that just so I could stick the radio on when I fancied a change.
I was OK with having 3 different makes but now I’ve got 2 Denons and the Arcam it’s messing with my OCD.
As an aside, the remote control for the Marantz used to work the volume on the Arcam but the Denon one doesn’t so I’ve lost that functionality. Still haven’t decided what to do with the Marantz, might see if I can get a quote to fix it (suspect the laser’s gone) but don’t want to pay £40/50 assessment fee to be told it’s not worth it.

The matching Arcam CD player to that amp is also a great piece of kit, so if you’re after matching your setup, I’d go that way…

1 Like

I’m still running off the amp and one speaker from an early ‘90s pioneer hi fi stack lol. The other speaker died, but I have a great new one which a friend leant to me, and he has since died :anguished: … Which is mad.
Two decks and a small Kam mixer from 1998 with limited functions and more recently a Pioneer FX box sourced from FB marketplace, all connected through another second hand mixer with the appropriate back ports for the FX boxes cabling, then from that - through a cheap digital interface ( sourced/ read about on internet wondering how on earth to digitise analogue source ) - it plugs into a MacBook.

It’s a revelation recording digitally tho I record fairly primitively and live, although more recently began messing about a bit more. Made an intro track from loads of vinyl samples that miraculously fused to make something quite good.

So many cables I’m generally terrified of unplugging anythjng lol

Often see bits of old kit in junk shops and wonder if it could be used lol - maybe just a decent amp and better speakers upgrade. I’d be sad to throw out the old Hi Fi though, even though apart from amp it’s now redundant. My tape recording deck died in the late nougties I think…

3 Likes