Musical Instruments & Playing

Don’t you just need to restring it? Jimi Hendrix, Kurt Cobain, Paul McCartney just did that - surely if they can do it!

(I guess it’s pretty inconvenient if you swap all the time, but then there’s every reason to have two!)

3 Likes

You could but you end up with the cutaway the wrong side and you’d have to swap the pickups around on an electric as the poles would be out of whack.

A non CA acoustic is a bit easier to do it on but then I wouldn’t be able to teach her.

2 Likes

One guitar for both of you ?

5 Likes

Does it come with a case? :smile:

2 Likes

If you can’t play For The Love Of God at regular speed, are you even a guitarist?

:face_with_monocle:

1 Like

I threw away my 1970s Gibson SG about two years ago.

Hopefully someone found it.

Needed to move on.

1 Like

:cry:

Can you?

2 Likes

Back in the day. Pretty sure the band had me play it on stage once as a warmup/intro before the band started.

Main difficulty was not having 24 frets. And those tremolo flicks really hard to get right. Pinched harmonics are a bit random so you just have to accept whatever you get.

Joking aside, competitiveness in musicians can be pretty ugly.

1 Like

I never understood the obsession with playing what somebody else has written. I always got most pleasure from writing my own tunes.

Scalloped necks were never my thing but I was a sucker for a well set up locking Floyd Rose. Never got into the JEM777 thing, six strings is enough for my brain.

I was in a band years ago, we used to play about 50/50 our stuff and then covers. If we played ‘Smash It Up’ we had to do it early in the set when the drummer had some energy. :smile:

3 Likes

Two months into learning how to play I thought I would tackle one of the songs that has long been a goal - Deep Purple’s Child in Time. It was one that I thought I would be leaving until much later in my progression, but found a youtube how to play the intro to it and gave it a shot. My timing sucks and it doesn’t quite flow yet, but I can at least play the right notes in the right order and it sounds at least recognisable. The Deep Purple organ setting on the keyboard had a bit too much distortion, but the Jimmy Smith (I had to google who he was) setting is about perfect. Anyway after practising most of the week I had a strange musical dream last night…

Apparently I was a backstage at a Deep Purple gig when Jon Lord’s nuclear powered Hammond had the reactor shutdown, it seems the license for the control software had expired, but I saved the day by setting the clock on the computer back to the 1970’s and he invited me onstage to play the intro…

As I said strange dream.

9 Likes

Not a big Deep Purple fan but that’s a great tune! Post a video when you’re confident in playing it :+1:

1 Like

Are you doing the vocals as well? :wink:

2 Likes

That would be a future project

1 Like

I see what you did there…

:wink:

4 Likes

I think most people get the reference, but thanks for spelling it out to us anyway

2 Likes

The Taylor could be adjusted for LH playing - swap the bridge and nut for LH ones from an intonation perspective.

Too late now. Both sold and ploughed into the mortgage. LO is going gang busters on the piano right now but I’ll buy her a l/h guitar if/when she wants one

2 Likes

You managed to find her a left handed piano?

2 Likes

:smile: I think it was on this thread that I said I was surprised there were no l/h violins but I am not serfistikated enough to know any different. :wink:

2 Likes