Musical Instruments & Playing

There’ve been various discussions about this but, as far as I can tell, they’ve been dotted around different threads like purchases etc. so thought I’d start a new one just for this.
Little DIY project this morning. Up until now the little drum machine thingy has been propped up on top of the amp leaning against the wall. I noticed the screws for the amp handle might be in the right place for something better.
A quick trip to Wickes, some cutting, drilling, a bend and hey presto.

14 Likes

Nice. It’s criminal that I have the guitars that I do under the bed doing absolutely nothing.:sleepy:

5 Likes

My problem is I keep buying gadgets instead of knuckling down and learning to play properly.
I’ve got a guitar at home, and even bought another one to keep at work so I could practice at lunchtime, but get demotivated after a couple of months and lose interest until I repeat the cycle again.

5 Likes

I play the violin. Recently bought some easier music to give me an opportunity to play without it being too challenging and it actually sound nice.

Hard to make the time for it

8 Likes

I was the same for many years, played for many years in my youth through 20s and then everything went in the loft. Ultimately buying a multi-fx a while back actually now makes me pick up the guitar more often as it gives me a variety of sounds for learning new songs whether they’re Country & Western or Metallica. Keeping a guitar out of its case on a stand also helps loads.

2 Likes

Yeah I need to make some time really. I have a PRS and a Taylor just collecting dust.

That’s a sin, expect some pics now we have a home for such things.

3 Likes

I’m not worthy

8 Likes

I’ve been trying to pick my guitar up and play a little, every day, but as usual, just playing that same 4 songs over and over again :man_facepalming:t2:. Probably should treat myself to some lessons, but life’s pretty expensive atm, so will just need to get back onto the justinguitar website.

4 Likes

Justin’s is a great site.

2 Likes

I played the piano when I was at secondary* school and got as far as grade five (which I failed). My piano teacher then gave up teaching (not just because of my exam result :joy:) and I gave up piano shortly after that (moved onto windsurfing - just a bit different!).

For my 30th birthday my wife and some family members bought me a lovely Yamaha digital piano - fancy thing where if you push the keys harder then the sound is louder - just like a piano (that’s probably a standard feature on all keyboard but I was impressed). Well… 20 years later I’ve barely played it and this year I really think I need to give it a proper go. Stay tuned…

*edit: …actually, I started learning at primary school as I remember playing a song at a school concert in my final year.

12 Likes

You don’t need to tune the digital pianos, you can start playing it straight away, in fact, you’ll look a bit of a fool if you get the tuner out.

HTH

4 Likes

I never learned an instrument as a bairn, sang in various choirs and noodled around on the school synths a bit (Roland SH-101 and Korg MS-20) mainly making weird noises, but no formal training. It is an itch that has been lurking that I finally decide to scratch, so bought this last week. It is not a synth, but loads of tones with some limited ability to edit, add effects and layers (there is even a Deep Purple organ tone, but I am no Jon Lord). Assignable knobs to twiddle in real time. Velocity sensitive and excellent digital piano sounds.

Worked my way through the Beginner 1 section of Skoove (3 month trial bundled with the keyboard), but ran into the limitations of Skoove on my Android tablet (and phone) where it lags so badly that two notes at once is too much for it. Skoove on my laptop works fine and Flowkey also works fine on the tablet. Will probably continue with Skoove on the laptop until my free trial is up, then subscribe to Flowkey as the tablet is more convenient.

Once I’ve mastered the basics, plan to use it partly as a MIDI controller and get myself some virtual synths.

Oh and you can tune it (OK detune it) in 0.1KHz steps.

7 Likes

Ooof, that is a crime!!

2 Likes

Indeed it is. I’ve just sent some pics of them off for a valuation from RichTone. I doubt they will offer much, both are pretty high end and that market is dead right now.

I won’t give them away but could do with the space. LO is left handed, so they won’t be any good for her to use but ‘might’ appreciate when she’s older. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Wow, the offers are pretty good, surprised!

4 Likes

Quality instruments tend to hold their value quite well. :+1:

1 Like

End of an era, they are being picked up tomorrow and for the first time since I was 15, I will be without a guitar or bass.

5 Likes

Sad times, not fancy picking up a cheapish acoustic just in case you get the urge to play?

1 Like

Yes probably in time but LO is left handed, so if she wants to play, we’d need two, A cheapie acoustic would be on the horizon at some point I’m sure.

2 Likes