Name that aircraft! 😀

that’s a blow for the RAF…not a 5 star in sight…

To be fair, when I was in the Sand, the Army Bde had the best accn (cabins with a/c) and the aviation wing (mainly RAF) were in tents with no aircon.

up to the rank of SAC?

That’s your conscious bias :wink:

Even the Gp Capt! (OF5) On ops it tends to be everyone in it together from all 3 services; same accn, same ‘hardships’. It’s exercises where the hotels come in for the RAF.

definitely a conscious bias…

Was running in the Derwent Valley at night a few years ago and had a couple of Hercules go overhead flying low, lights off - scared the shit out of us

2 Likes

I know what two if them are, but Ill let you guys guess…

1 Like

Looks like 2 spitfires? Can’t tell the othe one

1 Like

Yep :slight_smile: One had the black and white stripes that marked it as a supermarine.

Nice little fly by while having a cafe stop.

We assumed the third was some modern thing like a piper for taking photos of the other two!

Im going to have to dig out my wife’s Nikon for better shots at this rate :grinning:

The black and white stripes were markings for the D-day invasion :wink:

2 Likes

They’ve got the right idea.

2 Likes

watch out for the Cross winds

In all honesty, I just posted to see my new Christmas avatar :joy:

4 Likes

2 Apache gunships over my house this afternoon (Salford) - I was very excited - wife and daughter less so

3 Likes

Salford. That doesn’t bode well; unless they’re there to tidy the place up :rofl:

1 Like

Apache.

…1982.

One on the joystick, one on the keyboard.

1 Like

They let off 16 hellfires. Caused a million pounds of improvements

6 Likes
1 Like

We had Apache,Chinook and Hercules overflights for about a week last month.

They were in exercise in the Highlands and heading back and forward from Glasgow airport.

You should have seen the outraged comments on local Facebook groups as they were coming back around 0400 and flying fairly low.

Yes, they made the ground shake but we found it pretty exciting!

3 Likes

I’ve been out of Cambridge and at Ely for most of the last few weeks. It’s been great plane spotting.

Ospreys (loads…)
Galaxy
KC-135s
Occasional AWACS jets
Hercs a-plenty.
Not as many F15s as there were a few years ago - seems to have dropped out a bit since they had one auger in at the end of 2015/start 2016

We get a good number of small planes over the roof at home - seems like it’s a flightpath for Duxford so plenty of Moths and that twin cockpit Spitfire they have. Haven’t seen their DH82 though.