New bike considerations

I think you might struggle to find rim brake options on 2021 bikes. All the big manufacturers are switching to disc-only.

I’ve been riding team bikes with disc brakes for the last 4 years and I do appreciate the extra stopping power, although the limiting factor is always going to be the interface between the tyre and the road and it’s much easier to lock up a disc brake under heavy braking on a wet road.

I’ve been riding an older bike with dura ace rim brakes for the last few weeks and it’s superb, even in the wet. I hate carbon rim brakes, but alu rims with good quality calipers and levers are hard to beat (and a lot less faff to maintain)

This is the big thing for me!

Canyon said they almost certainly will be doing rim brake options next year, but I could see that these might only be on the lower spec options, and not the di2 options a bit higher up the hierarchy.

I don’t know whether it’s still the case, but Specialized went the other way - the only rim brake model they made was the S-works Tarmac, presumably for the racers who either didn’t want to go disc or were not allowed to race with discs.

Ah, fair enough. Either way, I’m happy with the spec and pricing of what I’ve got, so all good!

Can’t believe there was even a decision to made between the Stealth and Movistar colour schemes @stenard?! That Movistar one is mint (sorry!). Still the stealth will be a lovely bike to own.

Just like @gingerbongo’s one prior to his purchase, let’s all make a mental note of this statement :

2 Likes

No idea what you’re on about guv

(moon light despatched today! :joy:)

I think once the decision got taken away from me I was annoyed. But when I calmed down, I had spent a number of weeks deliberating so I was a bit more on the fence and did still like the stealth. I did see a movistar one in the flesh last weekend and they’re definitely nice, but at the same time the black is more me. Ultimately, I can’t remember the last time I ever looked at the bike I was riding when I was actually riding it, so largely the spec was the key part!

1 Like