New Garmin

Looks like it’s the 29th, so 3 weeks tomorrow, but the deals tend to start earlier that week I think?

Can’t help with the injury much though I’m afraid, although I suspect your long-term fitness will see you through. That’s what I’m hoping for next week and it’s only 65K.

Jeff

1 Like

Yeah, I’m already firmly in the ‘relying on my base and stubbornness’ mode to get through. Had a mini breakthrough the last few days where I was finally able to walk completely pain free. I could still ‘feel’ it, but it didn’t hurt. Then bang. All flared up today. Swelling on the injury site again, and really sore to walk on. Bollocks!

Ice and compression tonight. Fingers crossed, I’ve got 4 weeks left. Ideally I’d like to run at least once before the race! :joy: Even if it’s just to give my new trainers I’ve bought for it a go. Just a few kms at least! :joy: :joy:

3 Likes

Wiggle and others have already started their ‘pre’ Black Friday drive ffs. SIS have ‘Black November’ :roll_eyes:

Yes, I thought I’d seen it mentioned already :rage: day after Halloween!

Although if it wasn’t Black Friday, they would already be banging the Christmas drum. So there is that.

True. The 735 and 935 are included in that. Not sure who’d go for the “deal” of the 735 device only for £199 versus the 735 with HRM-run also for £199! With HRM-swim&tri bundle, it’s £219.

Gabba 3 for £75 is a good deal.

I’d happily give you £50 for the HR straps on the latter bundle if you just wanted the watch Pete!

I got a similar deal to that last year with the 2 straps. Been really happy with the 735, no altimeter to go wrong and battery life isn’t a factor for me, so it does everything I could want.

Yes, I spotted the Gabba. But the colours are blah, and tbh I really don’t need to fill that niche as I have a Perfetto Light & a waterproof jacket. I would probably overheat in the Gabba, and I can simply do that in a waterproof if it’s pouring down.

I bought one in the summer, at that same price in actual fact. Have already worn it once. It’s nice to be able to just wear a baselayer and a jersey on an otherwise cold and damp day.

I thought I was being smart buying on sale in the summer. Offering that deal now, in the prime time window for gear like that, is the rarity and upside of that deal

Cheers dude, i’ll bear that in mind. Though my current thinking is definitely angled towards the 935. A plastic Fenix sounds perfect for me. I just need to get it on enough of a deal to make me feel happy, and to convince the wife how it is ‘worth it’!!! Hmm, not sure that’s gonna work!

I would wear the Gabba (or Perfetto Light) as a single layer down to about 7-8 degrees, below that I’d just wear my Alpha Light RoS jacket with base layer. Where the Gabba/Perfetto Jerseys come into their own for me, is that spring/autumn weather where it might drizzle, but not a downpour. That and early/late season triathlons - the tight fit makes them awesome over a swimskin/trisuit for the bike :ok_hand:

No probs. Wiggle have that on sale too currently for £299.
One thing with the 935 is that it doesn’t have maps, whereas the 945 does. Not sure if that was something you were wanting in a plastic fenix.

Maps, and onboard music, are the things that make me want to upgrade from the 920. Not at full price, but if/when I can get it for a bit more reasonable price. The 935 was always an upgrade just for the sake of it … I never felt it had that many compelling additions as the optical HR stuff is not something I’d ever rely on for activities.

1 Like

That was one of the main reasons I bought it … with an eye on a more miserable IM Wales!

Maps would be nice, but you’re only getting them on fenix 5x, 6 and the 945; and they are all out of my range right now. You can still load maps on these, and you get a nice distance remaining, profile graph etc but only a directional arrow to bring you back ‘on course’. I use the Viewranger app on my phone as the primary navigational device at the mo, so a combo of arrow and viewranger would work well.

But thanks for the pointers. Just need to find a secret stash of credit … err i mean money.

Wash your mouth out. It’s not miserable, it’s just character building.

It’s great for bike commuting and works well in the pool. I still use the strap for running so that I get the extra metrics such as power, stride, oscialltion, GCT.

Hmmm but it seems that the Fenix 5 and 5s can also be had for £299 at the moment. Same price as the 935. Both look VERY similar in terms of spec.

Guess it’s time to just keep an eye on the both of them and see what moves and when!

Any good reason Garmin is now eponymous? Are they really a class apart from Polar and Suunto? Nothing wrong with my 910 but I could be tempted to upgrade, although I’m likely too tight unbroken it actually dies. Wonder how V800/Suunto 9 or Ambit or Spartan compare to 735/935/fenix.

Even within brands seems to be lots of watches all 90% same!

I’ve had a polar before, and it had a few bits I liked. But the app and connectivity was always terrible. Really put me off, so I went back to garmin.

I’ve thought about suunto. But read bad things about its stability etc. Don’t know if they’re justifies or not.

With a garmin I ‘know’ it’ll be decent and reliable. Guess it’s just a bit less of a risk?

Open to thoughts here though!

Eponymous or ubiquitous?

Paging @Poet