Nice 70.3 WC (2019)

Where did you see start times?

They’re on the event website

Paging @Matthew_Spooner

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/gear/components/handlebars-and-stems/extensions/canyon-h36-tri-extensions-long/10002908.html

Thanks

Getting quite close this now. Sounds like a combination of road and TT bikes going, if my TT bike had disc brakes I’d be tempted but a 30K descent on carbon rims isn’t appealing so I’m going to put some clip-on tri bars onto the TCR I’ve just bought.

I’ve noticed on the event plan it is a split transition which is probably how they get round the day before check-in, so any of the ladies that DNF the swim will probably have their bike shifted before we can check in.

Jeff

I havent looked at stuff like that. Sounds like I should

I’m going with the Giant propel on this one, was a bit torn between the TT or roadie, but i reckon my 83kg hulk of a body needs all the help it can get on those climbs. I think temp in the bay is around 24+ at the moment so looking good for a wetsuit free swim. Looking forward to this now, just need to recover from sunday…fast!!!

5 Likes

I won’t be too bothered if it’s non-wetsuit, I can’t swim with or without one :rofl:

Race numbers are online now as well, I’m 1048

Probably best for you to just put your feet up until then Dave, and a bit of swimming, it’s not like you are unfit or anything!

Jeff

JeffB - 1048 - M45
Crumpy
Stenard
Chickenboy
Stivruning
Mattsurf

1 Like

Triathlon Bike all the way ,hope for non wetsuit ( not a top swimmer ),just fancy it :wink:
are numbers out ?

1 Like

Numbers here

https://eu.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman-70.3/70.3-world-championship/athletes/participant-list.aspx#axzz5xA5dYrfi

2 Likes

Added for the real names I know!

JeffB - 1048 - M45
Crumpy
Stenard - 2459 - M35
Chickenboy - 837 - M50
Stivruning
Matt surf - 1469 - M45

578 in my wave apparently. Have never done a mass start that big. I’ve only done 2 races without a rolling start in the last 2 years in fact, and they were waves of 100-150 max. Actually fairly daunting. I’m normally in the top 15% or so for the swim, but I’m guessing that won’t be anywhere near the case for a championships. This is where the move to rolling start really doesn’t prepare you!

the mass start is fine mate, i’ve done IM France x2 back in the day with 2000+ adrenaline pumped nutters all off on the gun. Beach drops away within a metre so no people running over you. you’ll find clean water relatlively quickly

It’s okay, it’s a Championship event, how bad can a mass start be? :thinking::rofl:

I’ve done loads in Ironmans, but the ability level is way more spread, and when I was swimming 60 min you could find clear water pretty early on. That feels sad to say…‘when I was swimming 60 min’ :smirk: although I think not chasing 10h anymore means I actually just ‘plod’ the swim nowadays.

London world champs was awful.
The worst swim start I’ve ever had.

Put 500 odd people on a pontoon who can all swim 11 minutes for 750m.
How bad can it be?
Answer was VERY.

Yeah, it’s the likely lack of significant spread in ability that has me a little worried. Ultimately I’ll just deal with it, but it’s not something I feel I’m “prepared for”.

1 Like

500 people? Think you might be misremembering somewhat. The 2013 sprint worlds were done in AG waves and none of the age groups had anything like 500 people in them. Mine (35-39) had just over 100

1 Like

Yeah, that wouldnt surprise me. At Rotterdam, M30 was about 250, so they actually split it into wave A and wave B.

Don’t rob him of that false memory of ‘epicness’ :laughing: try a beach start with 2500.

3 Likes

:rofl::see_no_evil::rofl:
It felt
Like 500-odd. Okay!

Stenard has a real concern here - it’s hard.
But something you can’t train for :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

I do enjoy a mass start though.

2 Likes