Open Water Swimming UK 2019

Anyone swam at Sale water park? Forgot watch tonight, and doubt I’d trust 910 gps accuracy anyway, but wondered if there was any thoughts on it being a short lap. Advertised at 750m but I’m thinking 650-700 on feel and speed tonight.

I went for a swim in the River Cam on Wednesday. Phone and car keys went inside a small Lomo clear faced dry bag, which in turn went inside a bright orange Lomo dry bag tow float. I also went swimming on Friday at Milton Country Park, as I was there with work for a summer party. Did the same thing with the keys and my phone.

1 Like

Where’s @gingerbongo with his report of last night?

Having to do actual work has conspired against my planned OW swim this AM :sob:
The water-skiers go on the lake after 10am, too.
BOO hiss

1 Like

I had a bleddy lovely time, and it’s made me realise that (tri or no tri) i need to get down in the sea more often in this weather. Think the cliff run/short dip combo may have to be a regular occurence when the sea is as glassy as it was yesterday!

1 Like

Bit of Otillo action beckons?

I live in Winchester and on a recent trail run, I came across two guys getting ready for a swim in the river, training for an event in the Thames. The river has a decent flow and isn’t that deep.
I was confused!

I’m a kack swimmer, but it does still appeal. I’d be a completer for sure, but i like the fact it’s something different. Quite like the look of the Scilly Isles one.

The tattoo would look good around your belly button, too :wink:

2 Likes

It’s too fat!! it’d be all wobbly and asymmetrical!

Took part in the Cambridge Slow Swim and Picnic on Sunday, which is a social swim from Grantchester Meadows to Sheep’s Green in town. I was going to swim in Wave 1 “seriously need more cake”, but decided to do Wave 4 “pooh sticks” with my daughter.

Here we are starting near the back of the wave, me still without a cheap wetsuit:

I didn’t take the slow bit to heart and towed my daughter through all of Wave 4, most of Wave 3 and caught a few from Wave 2, who’d started half an hour before us. I was a touch chilly by the end, lost feeling in my pinkies and one of my big toes, but other than that was fine. While the water temp was measured at 19.5℃ on the Saturday, I still really need to find some neoprene that fits…

4 Likes

Looks awesome @fatboab :ok_hand:t4::+1:t3:

I finally checked out Pickmere wild swimming lake this morning. A bit scary swimming solo. I’m sure I’ll get used to it.